xix. the boys

"Wait a minute. You guys trapped Kiara and Sarah on a boat together? In the middle of the marsh?"

Slater was wrapping up her shift at The Wreck when the boys came into the restaurant, laughing and joking with each other. She could tell by the smug looks on their faces that they had done something stupid, and given as neither Kiara or Sarah were accompanying them, something insanely stupid.

"We left them with some food and water, we're not heartless," Pope replied.

"And I rolled them a blunt," JJ offered.

"You're a bunch of idiots. Whose half-baked idea was this? They're going to kill each other," Slater said.

Pope and JJ looked at John B, indicating that it was his idea, because of course it was his idea. He wanted Sarah in the group, and the only way that was going to happen was if Kiara allowed it.

"Oh my god," Slater groaned, angrily scrubbing the wooden bar top. "Why didn't anyone tell me about this?"

"Because you would have told us it was a stupid idea," John B said with a laugh.

"Because it is."

"Hey, waitress," JJ said, knocking his knuckles on the counter. "Can we get some fries, or ...?"

"Not from me," Slater scoffed. "My parents don't own this place. If you want food, here's a menu, and please remember to tip your waitress."

"The customer service in this place is astonishing," JJ said, letting out a low whistle. "Mr. and Mrs. C have really lowered the bar. They'll let anyone work in this place."

"What's that about us lowering the bar?" The boys jumped as Mr. Carrera walked towards them, a frown on his face. "If you're not paying for food, get off of my counter. Slater isn't the one to dole out free food."

"What time do you get done, Slater?" John B asked.

"In ten minutes. Why?"

"We're bored," Pope said, resting his elbows on the counter as the boys ignored Mr. Carrera's request to leave.

"You're bored?" Slater echoed.

Pope nodded. "We're at a stalemate with the treasure search, until we can find the right equipment to get down into the well."

"And Sarah's trapped on a boat with Kie, so John B has nothing else to do," JJ added.

"So what do you want me to do about it?" Slater asked. She was surprised, and slightly touched, that they had come to her when they were bored. She was still feeling like she didn't fit in with them, that maybe they didn't consider her a friend in the way she considered them friends.

"We're going surfing, so we thought you might want to come too," Pope said.

"It was JJ's idea, actually," John B joked, elbowing his friend. "You know how he loves spending time with you."

John B meant it as a joke, but John B didn't see the blush that crept onto JJ's cheeks, or how he tried to hide it by resting his chin in his hands, in an attempt to cover it.

But Slater did. Slater saw it.

"Okay," she said, smiling. "Just give me ten minutes, and then I'm out of here, as long as it's okay with Mr. C."

"Yes!" Pope grinned and gave Slater a fist bump, while John B clapped her on the shoulder.

"The Twinkie's outside, do you want us to load your board up for you? We saw it on your car when we came in," John B said.