twenty-two

LIGHTS UP
twenty-two | ❝You haven't talked to him about it.❞

                "STOP IT! Do not walk away when I'm talking to you!"

Wes cringes as he hears Kiara's mom yelling, somehow managing to sound perfectly clear all the way to the truck where they're sat, waiting.

The girl is trying to convince her parents to let her go to Charleston, but by the sound of it, it doesn't seem to be going great.

From where Wes is sitting in the truck, between JJ and Pope, the three boys have a view of Kiara and both her parents standing on their porch. Seemingly, they've calmed down a bit, as they've gone from screaming to just talking now. Their body language still doesn't look too promising, though.

"They're taking it really well," JJ comments, speaking dismissively.

Wes shakes his head at him, eyes rolling slightly as they remain trained on Kiara, trying to gauge her reaction to the conversation. "This is making me feel better about lying to Harry."

Harry has always been pretty reasonable with what Wes is allowed to do. For the most part, Wes has never really had to lie to his brother or come up with excuses for him- but as much as he hates to admit, he's growing pretty used to it.

And, after already withholding from telling him about all of the menacing encounters they faced on their elaborate treasure hunt, withholding the fact that they're going to Charleston for the day doesn't seem so bad.

JJ hums lowly before turning to Pope. "Speaking of, how'd you get this rig? 'Cause I know your old man didn't just let you have it."

Pope's gaze remains out the windshield, focused on Kiara as he replies. "I undid the intake valves on the carburetor. Made it start pinging," he explains.

JJ nods along. "Now you just gotta take it to your cousin Jeff's house. Just gonna get it fixed—"

Wes smiles a little, undoubtedly impressed by Pope's plan. It's much more concrete than the lie he told Harry, that's for sure.

"Crash overnight."

"That's a good one, Pope," Wes nods.

"I'd say we have about 18 hours before he absolutely loses his shit. So as long as we get it back before then, I think we're good," Pope clarifies, finally turning to glance over at Wes. "What'd you tell Harry?" He asks, his eyes also glancing at JJ, like they're a package deal.

Wes snorts, shaking his head. "That we were staying the night at your house to study for the quiz I just failed," he crosses his arms over his chest as he leans back, hearing JJ chuckle at his words. "I don't think he would've reacted as badly as Kie's parents if I told him the truth, but, why risk it, right?"