twenty-three

LIGHTS UP
twenty-three | ❝Wes and JJ.❞

                PURE JOY, like Wes hasn't felt in a very long time, is exactly what all of them are feeling right now

Finally, it feels like the picture is complete again, like it's colored in. Wes has missed this.

Somehow, John B and Sarah have one of Ward's boats. Wes has no idea how, but he doesn't even care, because they're on their way home and they're all together.

They're on their way back to OBX. Sarah and John B have filled them in on all of what they went through- Sarah has a gunshot wound on her abdomen from Rafe, which Wes still can't even fully comprehend- but either way, he can't remember the last time they all looked this happy. 

Life hasn't felt this complete in a long time.

Now, the next morning, they're looking for breakfast. They've docked the boat on a pier, waiting for Sarah and Kiara who volunteered to go off to go look for food.

Wes sits on the stern of the boat, his sunglasses on in attempts to hide the fact that he's staring at JJ. He doubts it's even barely convincing, through.

The blonde is standing on the hardtop of the boat, sending Wes a subtly smug smile as he teasingly nods his head at him in acknowledgment.

Wes nods back, trying to keep the corners of his smile from quirking up too much.

Him and JJ never had the chance to talk about how they'd be telling John B and Sarah about them. Truthfully, the thought never even crossed Wes' mind amongst all the unending chaos they've been through since finding out they weren't dead.

He's not sure how long him and JJ will be able to last interacting with each other without being entirely apparent, though. It's been less than a day and Wes already feels they're both cracking.

He wills himself to tear his eyes away from his boy before standing up, raising his sunglasses to rest up on his head as he walks to the front of the boat.

"So, uh, what's up with this Kiara stuff there, big guy?" John B sounds almost sympathetic as he goes to sit down in front of Pope.

Wes eyebrows raise a little as he approaches, sitting next to Pope on the bow of the boat. He's also curious as to what exactly is going on between Pope and Kiara. They rarely speak about it. And it's even rarer that they'll actually even express any sort of romantic interest in each other— Sometimes it honestly makes Wes feel like him and JJ need to reel in just how affectionate they naturally are with one another.