thirteen

LIGHTS UP
thirteen | ❝Yeah. It really is.❞

               WES DID not trust this plan whatsoever

WES DID not trust this plan whatsoever. From the second he saw the chunk of gold that Kiara had melted down, he knew that anywhere they'd take it they'd look suspicious.

Especially some sketchy pawn shop that he'd never even heard of before. But, it was also sketchy enough that they could accept it no questions asked, so he figured it could go either way.

Sitting in the backseat of the van, he watched as the car approached the shop, the big Cash for Gold! sign up front.

"Hell of a job melting it down, Dr. Frankenstein," JJ remarked to Kiara as they all piled out of the car.

Wes elbowed him a little, knowing Kiara wouldn't like the boys words. "Chill."

"Like you could've done better," Kiara shot back, rolling her eyes.

"I could have done much better, I took a welding class," the blonde lied, infuriating Kiara further.

"When?" She crosses her arms over her chest, John B quickly intervening and standing between them before it got out of hand.

"Whoa, whoa, hey!" He shushed them. "Chill out, okay?"

"It's easy for you to say that," JJ told John B, "you're not the one that has to pawn this piece of shit off. How did I get this job anyway?"

"'Cause you're the best liar," Pope answered.

Wes chuckled as they walked to the entrance, putting both hands on JJ's shoulders as he stood behind him and gave them a soft squeeze. "And the best sport, you got this."

JJ turned back to look at Wes and gave him a smirk, the Ryder boy sending a wink his way before dropping his hands and stepping away as they went inside.

"Afternoon, ma'am," JJ greeted the lady working at the desk.

Wes and the others walked amongst the store, acting like they were just looking around at the various items.

"Afternoon," the woman replied.

"I see you buy gold," JJ began.

"That's what the sign say, don't it?"

"Well, I sure hope you buy a lot of it, because I'm about to blow your mind," JJ took his backpack off and placed it on the counter.

"I ain't got much mind left to blow, so have at it," the woman told him, unimpressed.

"How 'bout them gold apples?" JJ asked as he placed the piece of gold in front of her.

The woman chuckled. "That ain't real."

Wes rolled his eyes, standing by Sarah as he mindlessly looked through some old records.

"That ain't real?" JJ questioned.