one

LIGHTS UP
one | ❝I have Lucky Charms.❞

                WESLEY RYDER loved summer

                WESLEY RYDER loved summer. Especially in the Outer Banks. It was practically paradise on Earth, so it was basic science that one could achieve a perfect summer being here, and it was his and his friends full intentions to do so.

The boy sat on a scaffold next to JJ, one leg hanging as he held a joint to his mouth and watched the ocean in front of him.

"That's what, a three-story fall to the deck?" Pope's voice made Wes look away from the sight before him and turn to look at John B, who was up on the roof balancing on only one foot as he held the other over the edge. "I give you about a one-in-three chance of survival."

Moving his sunglasses to the top of his head, Wes took a better look at John B to see the boy holding a finger up in the air as if the estimate the direction of the wind.

"Hmm," he hummed, "should I do it?"

"Yeah, you should jump," Pope called back, making Wes chuckle as he released the smoke he held in his mouth, "I'll shoot you on the way down."

"You're gonna shoot me?"

"Gimme some of that," JJ told Wes, referring to the joint.

Wes obliged and handed him the weed before taking the other boys beer and drinking some.

"They're gonna have Japanese toilets with towel warmers," Kiara's voice was heard from below the scaffold.

Wes looked down to see the girl walking out of the house to join Pope on the deck.

"Of course they are, why wouldn't they?"

"This used to be a turtle habitat, but who cares about the turtles, I guess," Kiara sighed, arms over her chest.

"Japanese toilets?" Wes muttered, the weed starting to hit.

Upon hearing him, Kiara's glances up and set her eyes on John B, still on the roof.

"Can you please not kill yourself?" She asked him as she grimaced with concern.

"Don't spill that beer," JJ warned him, "I'm not giving you another one."

Continuing to balance his foot, it didn't even take a minute after JJ saying that for John B to drop his beverage right down the two-three story fall.

"Whoa! Oh, shit."

"Of course you did! Like right when I told you," JJ exclaimed.

"Good one, John B," Wes laughed.

"Hey, uh, security's here," Pope called out, anxiously rushing his friends, "let's wrap it up."

"Boys are early today," John B commented.

"Don't these assholes have anything more important to do," Wes groaned as he hopped off the scaffold and took one last hit before throwing the joint on the floor of the deck and stepping on it.