Five

Theresa stood in front of the mirror in her bedroom, putting the finishing touches on the braid she put in her hair. Her bangs were braided back and they wrapped around her head. The rest of her long, dark brown hair swept over her shoulders. She smoothed out the small wrinkle in her pastel red sweater.

She took a deep breath and smiled at her reflection. She turned and opened the door that led to the living room of her small living quarters. Her grandfather sat in his chair like he always did. He turned his head to the side and saw Theresa standing in the doorway.

His face lit up in a huge smile. "Oh! Look at my baby! How grown up," he exclaimed.

Her father walked out of the kitchen and laid his eyes on her too. She saw the tears building up in his eyes. "How beautiful," he whispered, and she could hear his voice break. "What a lucky guy."

She rolled her eyes and suppressed a giggle, all while blushing. She looked down at her plain slip on shoes with the oil stain on them, and her patched jeans that she spent countless hours sowing back together so many times. She wasn't beautiful. She was from the dirt poor section of the Ark that lived in poverty.

She was plain, and she was dirty. These were her best clothes, but they still weren't good enough.

Theresa walked forward and took a seat on the arm of her grandfather's chair, taking his hand. She kissed the top of his head and then his hand. "You're too sweet, Paw," she said.

Her grandfather laughed a deep, hearty laugh. His laughter is suddenly cut off as he began to cough again. His coughing was getting worse, and she could hear him wheezing and gasping for air. They had to have been running out of oxygen, and it was no secret that her sector's air was more polluted than the others.

It was a miracle that she hadn't developed breathing problems as well. But she still had time. She looked at the watch on her wrist and she gasped. "I need to go!" she exclaimed.

She rushed to her father's side, gave him a quick kiss on the cheek. "I'll be back later!" she exclaimed on her way out the door.

"Be back before curfew!" he yelled at her.

"Sure thing!" she replied. The door closed behind her and she set off. She knew the way to the observation deck like the back of her hand. She could walk there in her sleep.

She was sad that Jasper had to miss this, but she was glad that Monty would be there instead. The two of them were going to be watching the meteor shower tonight. The best part about it was the fact they would be watching it in their favorite place on the ship. This observation deck was closed down years ago, and it seemed everyone else had forgotten about it.

She passed a few guards who gave her curious looks -- one of the guards being Wells Jaha. He was nice when he wasn't in that guard outfit. Whenever he was in his attire, he was all about the law and was the spitting image of his father.

Theresa turned another corner and ran into Monty. Monty fell backwards and Theresa fell on top of him. Theresa immediately broke out into a fit of giggles while Monty's cheeks burned hot with embarrassment. Theresa stood and offered Monty her hand, which he accepted.

"Sorry," Monty apologized.

Theresa wrapped her arm around his shoulder and kept walking. "It's alright, M. It was funny...you know it was," she replied.

She looked over at him and saw him fighting back the smile that was obviously there. She moved her arm and poked him in his side, getting a laugh out of him. He looked over at her as they continued walking.