Seventeen

The observation deck was completely empty. There was no sign that Jasper or Monty had been here. She took the nightstick out of her waistband and held it in her hand tightly, looking around. It was quiet, and the guards were still on the lookout for her. It was tough getting past the cameras and sneaking past the checkpoints. Theresa was still dressed in her confinement clothes.

Jasper and Monty weren't the only reason that she came to the observation deck. Theresa kept clothes stashed away in here if they were needed. She knew that the clothes wouldn't be enough to keep her hidden from the guards, but it would be a good precaution. It was truly a wonder that the whole ship hadn't been put on lockdown. Theresa wondered if anyone even knew that she had escaped. In her opinion, she would have wanted to know if a convict had escaped confinement; it would help her at least be a little more cautious.

But there was nothing. No wanted posters. No lockdowns. No voices coming over the intercoms. It was as if the Ark didn't have a plan for something like this. Probably because they never expected anyone to make it out of confinement alive.

Theresa waited for a while in there, keeping both her eyes and ears open not only for guards, but also for the slight chance that Jasper and Monty showed up. As an hour passed, she decided to give up waiting. She needed to go home.

She needed to let her father know that she was alive.

---

The sun was setting, and Theresa was drifting off into sleep, finally able to ignore the searing pain. The tent flap opened and Jaha walked in. She looked over at him, but she didn't say anything.

"Hello there, Theresa," Jaha said to her. "How nice to finally meet you."

She stared at him; she didn't understand. "How nice to finally meet you"?

"Abby tells me that you're in a lot of pain. I'm sorry about what Kane did to you."

"You'll apologize for that, but not for killing my grandfather," Theresa spoke, her voice was hoarse from not speaking for a while. "But it seems to be a little too late for that, right?"

He sighed and took a seat at her bedside, to which she quickly scooted away. "I was sorry to hear about your family members, Theresa. I wish I could have done more, but there were so many people--"

She chuckled. "The 'other people have issues' excuse. Tell me this, Chancellor, how many other people had breathing issues because of the polluted air?"

He smiled and chuckled softly. "Polluted air? What are you talking about?"

She shook her head and looked away. "Doesn't really matter anymore," she muttered. "What are you doing here anyway?"

"When Abby told me about your state, I knew I had to come talk to you."

She looked over at him with her eyebrow raised and a sneer on her face. "Why?"

"I want to tell you about the 'City of Light'," he said, a smile showing up on his face.

"Yeah? How exactly am I supposed to get there? I can barely walk out of this tent! And besides, Clarke was right. I'm not going anywhere until our people are rescued from Mount Weather. I'm not leaving them behind."

"You mean your friends," Jaha said. "Jasper Jordan and Monty Green. Right?"

"How do you know that?"

"My son knew. You were all classmates, right?"

"Yeah, but we never really talked to him. What's the point of this discussion?"