Fourteen

"Alright, are you ready?" Abby asked.

Theresa nodded her head. She was sitting up on her cot, her legs hanging over the side. The feeling came back in the middle of the night, and the pain was so severe that it woke Theresa up from her nightmare. For the remainder of the night, Jackson was by her bedside, changing her rags as they tried to keep her fever down. Theresa had been up, groaning in pain, unable to fall asleep.

Jackson grabbed her arm, and Theresa rested a hand on her cot. Her feet touched the floor, and she started to push up while Jackson gently pulled her up at the same time. As her legs straightened out, she felt the burn start to come back. She gasped and tears suddenly flooded her eyes. She cried out in pain as Jackson kept her upright and on her feet.

"Come on," he said softly. "You got this."

She took a step, and the fire flowed through her shins, clear to her calves. She breathed a quick intake of breath, exhaling slowly. Her eyes were shut tightly as she tried her best to focus on something other than the pain.

"Come on," she heard Abby say, "That's it."

The pain was just too much. Theresa started to collapse, and if it wasn't for Jackson, she would have fallen face-first into the floor.

"Let's get her back on her cot," Abby said.

Jackson scooped Theresa up into his arms, and she was laid on her cot. She looked up at him with teary eyes. "I don't understand," she whimpered. "I couldn't feel anything. What happened?"

Jackson turned to Abby. "You don't think it was the antibiotics, do you?" he asked.

"I mean, there's a chance it could have been, but I highly doubt it," she replied. "We can't risk taking her off the antibiotics; it might cause complications with the healing process."

"What do we do?"

She shook her head. "I really don't know," she admitted.

Theresa couldn't help but be a little scared. She knew it was bad if the doctor didn't even know what was wrong with her. "Are my wounds healing, though?" she asked through gritted teeth, fighting off the waves of pain that kept rolling over her.

"Everything looks fine -- great, even. But until we can figure out what caused this--" Abby replied.

"I have to stay in here again," Theresa interrupted.

Abby sighed. "I'm sorry, Theresa."

Bellamy poked his head through the tent flap and relief spread over his face when he saw Theresa laying on her cot. "Is she okay?" he asked Abby.

"The feeling came back to her legs and her back in the middle of the night last night," Abby replied. "We don't know what caused it, but she's in a lot of pain right now."

"Is there anything you can do?"

She shook her head. "Nothing that we know of yet."

He let out a sigh and looked over at Theresa with a sympathetic look in his eye. Then, he looked over at Abby again. "We need to get going," he said softly, trying to make sure that Theresa didn't hear.

But, to his dismay, she had heard what he said. "Where are you going?" she asked.

"I'll give you a minute," Abby said to him. "Jackson."

Jackson left the tent along with Abby, and Bellamy walked over to Theresa's bedside. "Bellamy, what's going on?" Theresa asked, starting to be afraid.

"We're headed out. We're trying to find the satellites from Mount Weather -- they're blocking communication signals to other Ark stations," he told her. "Is it bad?"