one. attack on New York

movie: Avengers 2012
amara davis, aged 12

THERE WAS A BIG, gaping hole in the middle of the sky where there shouldn't have been. creatures — aliens? — were flowing steadily out of it, and while the Avengers were trying to fight them off, i was trying my best not to sweat out my freshly straightened hair.

"you better not sweat that out!" momma yelled from behind me. "but move ya ass or you'll be left!"

"i'm tryin' momma!" i said with a huff. i didn't know if i was supposed to be running or walking, so i stayed in between. to be honest, i couldn't wait until this was over, so i can get my braids back.

"watch your tone." warned momma. i tried so hardly not to roll my eyes because if i did, momma would sense it, and give me something to really be scared about.

an alien swooped down, trying to gobble up momma, causing me to cackled in my head. that's what you get for yelling at me. fortunately, iron man came before it could actually do something unrepairable.

"thank you! thank you so much, iron man!" momma beamed, tears streaming down her face.

"you're welcome, ma'am. get somewhere safe, and stay of the streets!" iron man took for the skies again, leaving momma and i on the sidewalk.

people pushed past us as we admired the man in the flying metal suit. it was such a main character moment, to be honest.

snapping out of it, i grabbed momma by the arm, pulling her along. "we needa leave, now!"

we get to a building, and wait until it's all over. it takes a couple hours, but tony stark ends up going up the hole himself. i'm pretty sure he's still alive, but i'm still on the fact that my mom almost died, so i really don't care that much. RIP if he did die, though.

after the battle of 2012, i started praying that this doesn't happen ever again.