Chapter 4

We sat on the couch watching Tv for an hour or two. Both sitting in the silence that fell after the show was over. We both felt distant but so close, I could feel it. He finally got up and made us some hot chocolate. Five marshmallows in mine, three in his.

" Sorry I haven't been around lately, I've been a tad bit busy lately on a new project." John piped up. " What have you been up to lately?"

" You know, nothing much. A couple days ago I built a snow fort and a snowman after shoveling the driveway. What about you?"

" Just some ol' project. Do you know if you could go to the gas station?" John asked, " I need some batteries and some popcorn packets if they have them."

" Sure thing, I'll go later though." I sipped my coco and resumed, " Let's finish this next episode and I'll head out. Ok?"

" Ok, pass the remote and let's finish this." I handed him the remote and pressed play.

We finished the episode and John heads back to his lair. I on the other hand, packed and headed to the gas station. The car stops and I get out. I stop, there's a white Ford truck parked across the street.

Black, all I see. Flash of red, white than solid black. Red pooling, slowly covering the streets. Bright headlights coming and stopping next to me. Black, all black. Sharp pain, red, red spots filling my vision, solid black again. Deep ringing in my ears, I slowly open my eyes. Where am I? White ceiling, walls, floors. Light blue blankets. Why can't I move? Pain, pain, pain.

That night as a child, I was around 13. I got hit by a white Ford truck. I survived but have scars all over my left arm and one on my left cheek down to my shoulder. Some people would love to have a scar but it sucks. I get stared at all the time, mean scary glares.

I entered the shop, the doors sliding open with a ding. What kind of batteries did John need? I texted him to make sure what kind but I suspected double a. I grabbed some popcorn and a little drink as a reward. John texted that indeed he needed double A. I headed over to the cashier and made very little small talk. Just a simple 'Hello, goodbye' situation.

I clambered into my car and drove with the bags in the passenger seat. It was a bumpy ride so I buckled it in. It felt weird but it felt it should be done. After all that I headed home.

---------

' Daniel left to go pick up some supplies for you, soon you can meet him and I bet you'll like it. This hologram is very small, I wonder if your size affects your personality. I guess we'll find out together.' And now I realize I'm talking to a screen and a computer unit. Is it recording? No idea. Lines of code, forming a companion for a friend. The hologram is tiny, around 6 or 7 centimeters. Will Daniel freak out? I hope not. First I need to fix some bugs then it'll be ready to come online. Haven't picked pronouns yet. Once it's complete I'll get to know it and eventually reveal it to Daniel.

Daniel just arrived home from the gas station. He brought popcorn! My day is complete, now to get the batteries downstairs and get Pixel online, if this works it will be scared, so I should probably record some audio for it. Maybe a video, or I could get audio of Daniel and some pictures and show it. Either way this is an experience for all of us. I just need to work on some audio recordings.