02: Devil in Disguise

"Mel, let's go", Natalie said as she was standing in the doorway and I was still stuck on him, the sight of him, how I hated how awful this car ride would be. I should've gone with Nolan.

I followed Natalie out of the door and locked up as he waited for me to finish. He knew the damage he was doing and he enjoyed it so much.

He walked side by side down the driveway, each step I took he took as well. The sound of our footprints matched, almost like a march and I couldn't stand it, I quickly hurried to catch up with Natalie.

"I think it's best if I stayed home", I whispered to Natalie and she looked at me utterly confused, and looked back at the boy who walked slyly behind me.

She slipped into the front seat, as I dreaded sitting in the back seat with him. He rushed to the side and opened the door for me, smirking his famous jaw.

This was all just an act, a simple act, he was the devil in disguise, and he knew it. He had the confidence to be whoever he wanted, and today it was a gentleman tomorrow it was the person who would ruin my life.

But he had already been doing that, each and every day always making sure I had the hardest time at school, Zeke always said it had something to do with him, but I think it was just that Dallas hated me.

I remember it clear as day on the first day, Zeke had saved me from sheer humiliation as asked the devil where a class was, his cloud of smoke erupted in my face and he swore at me.

Ever since that day, his manner towards me was always disgusting, always teasing the papers in class, always finding a way to make my day just a bit harder.

"Oh your son is a gentleman", I heard Natalie mutter to Paris and I couldn't have been more annoyed in that moment. He was far from a gentleman.

He smiled as he motioned for me to get in the car, I couldn't bother with this frustrating attitude, he was a jackass at school but here in front of his mom he was the holy son.

I slipped in silently wishing he hadn't made it so obvious of what he was doing, as he slipped something in my bag. I looked at him frightened as I saw the tiny pack of cigarettes in the pocket.

"Wha-", I muttered as I pulled the pack out, letting out a whimper as I felt a sharp grasp on my wrist, holding it fiercely in place. His grip was sharp on mine as he held it in place, I was lost for words, as I looked up to his eyes.

"I'll take it at school", he said, hushing me. But I was still struck from the moment, I was so distracted I didn't even realize his hand was still on mine.

He didn't either, his words caught him off guard, the intensity caught us both off guard. I looked down first, and he quickly let go of my hand. Readjusting himself securely into the seat on his side.

The rest of the car ride was silent as Natalie and Paris snickered and talked about the lost time. I couldn't look at Dallas, I was right this car ride would be too awkward for the both of us.

Luckily school came into view, where I could finally shake him off and I would hand him the dreaded pack of cigarettes that smelled of smoke.

I always hated the smell of smoke, after Daniel used it the first time, it was always a smell that reminded me of just how much damage he did. My back was littered with burn marks, he used to light his cigarettes on my skin, he said he would like hearing me scream out in pain. Ever since then I looked at cigarettes differently.