5

There was a depressing air clogged within four members of the team.  It emitted an harsh, restricting barrier between friends.  Today was Father's Day, and no one wanted to celebrate.

It left the oldest teen of the group lost in confusion and sadness. 

Cyborg couldn't understand why his friends were so distant; carrying blank, haunting expressions as they somberly passed him without any exchange of words or acknowledgment, looking lifeless and miserable. 

Agony and blistering pain seared through his empathetic heart.

Robin had shut himself in his room and refused to come out, no matter how many times Cyborg tried to coax him through the locked door, his muffled sobs carrying a flooding wave of sorrow throughout the Tower.

After two heart-wrenching hours, the sobs ceased slightly and what he heard next through the door made the cybernetic teen's heart snap.

"I could've saved them!  I could've saved him!"

Cyborg couldn't take the anguish of his friend anymore.  He placed his hand on the cool, metal door and spoke desperately, voice cracking.

"Robin, please!"

'I just want to help you'

Cyborg waited a few more minutes, hearing a few hitches of sniffles and a jangling noise that sounded like an lock being undone, before Robin's door slid open and revealed the raven-haired boy curled up with his head down, silently crying into his knees, a colorful poster next to him that mentioned something about a sabotaged trapeze act at Haley's Circus.  He didn't comment on it, figuring it was something personal.  He knelt down in front of the teen, who looked up at him with tears cascading down his face and enveloped him in a comforting hug.  He broke away after a few moments and looked at him, speaking softly,

"Do you wanna talk about it?"

Robin shook his head slowly.  He didn't want to talk about the incident so soon.  Cyborg nodded, respecting his wish and extended a metal hand to help him to his feet.  Robin gratefully grasped the hand offered to him, wiping away drying tears with his other arm. 

"Do you wanna go to the pizza place for dinner?"

The Titans leader hesitantly nodded with a small, wavering smile that didn't quite reach his masked eyes.  Together they walked down to the first floor of the Tower to find Starfire, Beastboy, and Raven sulking on the  grey sofa, eyes downcast.

They turned absentmindedly when the duo appeared, eyes glassed over with memories of their deceased or evil fathers (Trigon).  Cyborg addressed the three Titans, releasing Robin's hand.

"You guys up for pizza and a walk around the city?"

The trio quietly mumbled an unenthusiastic "Sure," with a slight shrug, glancing up with hollow expressions.  It was preferable to moping all day in their misery and they hadn't eaten a thing this morning, too busy wallowing in despair to acknowledge their growling hunger they now felt. 

Cyborg frowned slightly.  He had hoped they would be a little more excited at the prospect of pizza, but he couldn't blame them for how they felt.  It's never easy to deal with loss.  Especially the loss of people you cherish and care about.  He had experienced the loss of being completely human through an accident when he was young, going through a painful procedure to save his life.  As a result, he had obtained multiple mechanical functions that were permanently integrated with both his humanoid and robotic structure.  He had hated how he looked after the procedure, because people judged him harshly with taunts and jeers at the sight of his mechanical parts.  He highly respected his friends for their non-judgmental attitude towards him.