THIRTY-ONE

THIRTY-ONE;
heal

   Neither of them were sleeping

Neither of them were sleeping. But Bucky didn't mind laying with Leah despite the lack of conversation between the two. He'd willingly spend all of his days in bed with her if he was given a choice, listen to her slowing heartbeat as it filled his brain, the rhythm steady. The non-existent exchange of words didn't bother him. The male was fluent in more languages than one, eyes and body language saying more than most words could begin to explain.

A couple of hours had passed, but the female hadn't been able to fall asleep. Her mind was racing, the thoughts driving her into discomfort and sadness, shame and self-hatred embedding itself under her skin. She was seconds away from losing her grip and crash further into the emotions that threatened to spill over. Trying to block and replace her strong feelings with something else, just to spare Bucky, wasn't working. At least not like the brunette had hoped. Leah let a loud sigh fall from her rosy lips. Her body moved, returning to its position inside his warm chest. Her brown eyes eventually opened as she looked up at him. His eyes were closed, hiding the blue color that held a special place in her heart.

«Are you awake?» She finally whispered.

Bucky opened his eyes, pupils sliding down to her. «No.» He mumbled under his breath, trying to get a smile out of her, wanting to bring out her dimples. His thumb brushed her hair from her face, a new habit that had stuck to him.

Leah rolled her eyes softly, wearing a small but evident smile. It disappeared as quickly as it came, her face morphing into a frown, erasing every trace of the soft smile. «Can I tell you something?» She asked. Her voice was quiet, barely coming out as a whisper.

His thumb brushed up over her silky smooth jaw. He had to bite his tongue to not make a joke, answering her question with a gently nod and loving eyes, «always.»

A deep breath of air pushed past her parted lips. Her eyes left his and her fingers found the hem of her shirt, playing with the soft material anxiously. She struggled to pick her next words. Leah had never really been the best at communicating, or lean on others. Revealing things about herself was difficult, especially around sensitive subjects that still stung fresh.

«You know that guy earlier? That was my ex.» She shared with him, silence falling over them as Bucky processed her words. He had his suspicions of who the male had been to her, but it still burned. His thumb brushed down to her chin. He could sense her struggle and he could hear her heartbeat quicken in pace. His fingers gently clasped around her face, his eyes holding hers captured securely.

«It's so embarrassing— this is too humiliating—» Leah started to say, twisting her body out of his hold as her back faced him. She wanted to keep the strong image of her that he held.