Chapter-44

Not expecting him to react like this, I broke down crying on the floor. His words wanted me to take my heart out and shred it like a piece of paper. Tearing it into million pieces, away, far, far away from me.

It hurt soo bad. I didn't even get up from my position until D found me and that was the next morning. I had been sitting there the whole night and I didn't even feel it. I knew he had moved on when I saw that woman at his house.

And D was angry. That was understating it, actually. He was furious with Max and also with me because I had sat there on the cold floor the whole night, without even considering my health. 

I get sick easily and D knows it.

He just scolded me a little and picked me up, taking me to my room. Instead of going to the office as he normally would, he took a sick leave, which was actually kind of funny to me. I was the one feeling under the weather and he is the one taking leave.

I must have done something really good in my past life to have got a friend like him now. He was concerned about me thinking that I would do something stupid.

"That prick, I'll kick his ass." He started cursing Max in anger taking out his phone.

 "D, don't" I plead quietly.

"I am not going to let..." but I did not hear the rest as I fell asleep exhausted.

...

Throwing back the covers that had kept my body warm, I grabbed the glass of water and the medicine that D had left for me. Gulping that down, I got up from the bed to freshen up.

D had left me a note saying that he had gone to pick up James from school as Vivan was occupied today and her brother was going to come to babysit James after. I admired how Vivan managed her life and a child alone. I would have lost myself under the pressure.

It was my job to pick James up whenever she was busy because I was free as a bird and it was kind of a part-time job for me, only I didn't get paid. She cooked her delicious food for me whenever she had time and that was a payment enough for me.

Deciding to go out for fresh air instead of mopping around in the apartment, I wore my favorite light purple sweater and jeans. Picking up my phone from the nightstand I saw a missed call from Max. Seeing his name, my heartbeat picked up on its own.

Taking a deep breath I just ignored it thinking that he must have dialed my number by mistake. I hope D didn't call him or anything. That would be embarrassing.

It was nearing 4 in the afternoon, D must have returned by now but he was not in the apartment, so I decided to go and check Vivan's place in case he was there. Closing the door behind me, I turned around only to bump into someone.

I groan painfully under my breath.

I seriously need to be more careful, like seriously, man. I am always running into someone. 

At this rate, I would definitely lose a limb or something. Sometimes I crash into walls without any reason whatsoever. Maybe I had some kind of problem. I need to give more attention to my surroundings or maybe book an appointment with a doctor.

"Sorry--"

"Sorry--" We say at the same time, looking at each other, only to stop and laugh.

"Hey, we meet again." The guy says laughing a little, confusing me.

"Have we met before?" I asked him confusing lacing my tone. I never forget faces especially if it was someone who was this pretty.

"Not exactly but, do you remember we ran into each other in this same corridor? We were both in a hurry back then." He says chuckling. 

He had a nice smile too but to me, he was nothing compared to Max. Why was I even thinking about him now? Stupid. He always pops up in my head.

"Oh!, yes. It's you." I exclaim, finally recognizing him and I smile back.

"I was hoping to run into you again, you know," He says after a while, rubbing the back of his neck. I wanted to laugh at the way he was behaving.

"And your wish came true," I say chuckling making him red in the face. How cute.

"Well, we never got to introduce myself. I am --"

"UNCLE ALEX! " came running a screaming James, jumping on him.

"Whoa! hi there bud. You missed me?" He asks hugging James to him, stroking his hair.

"Yeah. You haven't come to meet me for soo long. I am not talking to you anymore." He complains, folding his hands in front of him and looking the other way. This was entertaining.

"Hmmm, I see. And here I had planned to take you out today. Oh well, I'll cancel it then." Alex says loud enough for James to hear it and acts sad.

"WHAT? I mean if you want, we can still go out." James says, trying to hide his excitement, showing as if he was doing it for his uncle. He was one cheeky smart little boy.

Alex laughs at that, shaking his head. "Sure, bud. Go change."

James turns around to rush into his apartment but not before seeing me and screaming happily. "MAHI!, you are back."

"Yes, little prince. I came back!" I say matching his excitement. How can you be sad when you have such a happy kid around you.

"Yey! you can also come with then. Uncle Alex, can Mahi come with us? Please?" He pleads cutely looking at his uncle for an answer without even asking me. Well, who could say no to him?

"But--" I tried backing down when D went along with James on the plan. Encouraging him. What was he trying to pull here?

"Yeah sure. Why not? but only if she wants to." Alex says looking at me waiting for an answer. I had no other plan or an excuse to come up with so I agreed, making everyone happy.

Alex then took James to get him changed before we could go and stood there looking at D, narrowing my eyes at him.

"What?" He asks feigning innocence.

"Don't what me. What are you trying to do?" I asked him, not buying his innocent act.

"Nothing, you just need to go out and have some fun." He says, patting my back.

I just scowl at him as I had nothing else to say and It was better not to bring him up or to remember yesterday's events. Alex had invited D too, but he had declined using a lame excuse.

"I hope you don't mind me intruding," I said awkwardly. I had never met this guy before and here I was going out with him.

"No, no. I would love to have a company, especially someone who could handle a child high on sugar," he says chuckling, and I laugh with him.

"I am ready," James announces coming out.

Too excited to go and have fun, James came out as fast as he had gone in, making everyone laugh at his antics. Running straight to the elevator, he pushed the button without waiting for either one of us and waited there hopping like a bunny.

"Come on Uncle Alex, we will be late," he calls us looking back, telling us to hurry up.

Alex came next to me, "Shall we? " He asked offering his hand smiling.

I hesitated at first, then took his hand managing a small smile "We shall."

"Have fun, you guys. Bye," D breaks in, like a mom sending her children out to play, waving us bye.