Chapter-48

To say that Max was upset was an understatement of the year. He was also a little mad with me because I hadn't picked up his calls. I had put my phone on silent when we had started cooking. That was completely unintentional though.

And then when I finally left, I got stuck in the traffic, which made me late even more, than I already was. Not being able to do anything about that, I just sat there cursing the traffic and myself.

I was so stupid to think I could manage everything and that too on time.

And after all, that, when I reached the office, I went straight to Max's, but he ignored me completely. He just looked at me once. Well, he stared, didn't say anything, and continued working again as if I was one of his office walls.

Even when I called out his name, he behaved as if he didn't hear me. He was doing it purposely and the stupid me, I found it adorable.

I sat on the chair opposite to him, waiting for him to say something, say anything but he continued ignoring me so I decided to try talking to him again.

"Hey baby, are you mad at me? " I ask him as sweetly as possible making an innocent face.

"Yes." That is all he says without even looking up from his work.

"Why?"

"Don't you know why?" He questions me in return, finally looking up from his desk. He looks straight into my eyes as if trying to extract an answer from me.

I tilt my head to the side, trying to think of a possible reason why I was late and didn't pick up his calls. But looking at him I felt as if he already knew something.

"Ok, SORRY! I was busy making lunch for you guys and didn't check my phone and also there was a lot of traffic." I sigh thinking that I managed to escape without giving anything out.

"Hmmm, there is never much traffic from your apartment to here, though." He points out. Continuing to stare at me, not saying anything. That made me even more nervous. It was hard to lie and keep it a secret for me.

"OK, OK, FINE! I went to Alex's restaurant. There was traffic there though." cracking up under his intense gaze, I give up. He should be in the FBI or something. He could extract information just with his stares.

"So, that's how it is ha? Your boyfriend is waiting here, missing you and you go meet someone else. " He accuses, getting a little worked up. I knew this was going to happen so I am not scared.

"He is a friend and I came straight to you after that and even got you lunch."

"Friend my ass," He snorts.

"You are the one to talk, I didn't a have half-naked girl in my apartment" I whisper to myself scoffing.

"What did you say?" He asks looking at me surprised. It wasn't meant for him to hear.

"Nothing." I look away, folding my hands.

"She is just an old friend, baby. Nothing more. " He says, defending himself now. Wow, the roles have reversed now. I should remember this trick next time.

"Yeah, that's why she was wearing your shirt?. Right," I say sarcasm dripping through my tone.

He gets up from his position, walking towards me. Reaching down, he grabbed me by the arms, pulling me up. Taking me to the couch, he sits down and pulls me up on his lap.

I try to get up, but he circles his arms around me making it impossible for me to move. I squirm on his lap. I was just acting, I didn't want to get up from the comfy position.