Chapter 10: Brandon's Battle

In the hotel, a doctor diagnosed what ailed Charlie: some pokémon's poison. Kyle figured it must have come from the Toxtricity in the tunnel. The doctor then told him she would get better with medicine and rest, but due to an increase in likewise attacks, the town was out of the former. With that, Kyle took her Bulbasaur, and used his knowledge to try making an antidote with its Poison Powder.

Meanwhile, Brandon had to fight off Marla's Beedrill and Toxtricity while protecting the unconscious Sofie, with a stab wound.

"Kadabra, Psybeam."

"Toxtricity, Fire Punch." While Brandon's attack hit its head, little damage was done.

"Why is this one so strong? You're supposedly the weakest gym leader."

"Simple, I just don't use it for gym battles, and the others are weak enough to make it seem that way."

Brandon tried to think up a strategy to get out of this situation safely. He couldn't use Kadabra to teleport away, since her attacks left no opening. He also had to make sure Sofie was safe.

"Kadabra, teleport Sofie to the hotel. Togepi, come here and use Attract on Toxtricity."

"Toxtricity, Spark Kadabra before he gets her out." Brandon ran in front of the move, blocking it with his own body.

"Rrrgnh... Togepi... Life Dew." Brandon strainedly told his pokémon to heal him.

"Beedril, Fury Attack on Brandon. Toxtricity, intercept Kadabra."

"Togepi, stop Toxtricity."

When the bee came to him, Brandon tried dodging what he could and grabbing its stingers while getting repeatedly attacked.

"Why are you trying so hard to save that chick? Don't tell me you're in love with her."

"Oh hell no, nothing of the sort. But she's our main chance of taking you guys down, with her inside info."

"Should you really be telling me this?"

"You're already targeting her, and now me, how much worse can it get?" At this point, he succeded in stopping one of Beedrill's attacks by grabbing one of its arms, and ripped one of its wings off.

"Beedrill, Twineedle." Brandon ducked to dodge the attack, and took another wing off on the same side, leaving Beedrill unable to fly with control. He then punched its face as much as he could, before getting stung with the stinger in its abdomen.

Togepi, on the other hand, was trying to stop Toxtricity. She just needed to stall it for long enough for Kadabra to teleport to Sofie, grab her, and get out. However, her poisonous foe was fast, while her own short legs could barely move. Kadabra was at Sofie's side already, but at reach for an attack like Toxic. Togepi then tried attacking at a distance, though none of her moves could, and managed to lift a rock and toss it.

However, it didn't get far, but gave the baby pokémon an idea for a move. It then focused and learned Ancient Power, and shot at Toxtricity just before it could use Fire Punch on Kadabra, managing to stun it for long enough for Kadabra to escape.

Turning her attention back to her trainer, Togepi saw him on top of Beedrill, desperately trying to get it to faint. She used Life Dew to help him, and looked back at Toxtricity, who was rushing to it charging a Fire Punch, and used Attract to stop it.

Brandon started coughing up blood, but kept hitting as he could. Soon, Beedrill stopped resisting, and Brandon stood up and faced Marla once more.

"Still up? Though in no fighting condition it seems. Toxtricity, finish him off with Throat Chop." Then her phone rang.

"Marla, that's enough. The main goal was Sofie and she got away. Come back to HQ and report."

"Oh, come on, he's almost down."

"I won't repeat myself."

"Fineeee... well, Brandon, you got lucky, the boss needs me, so bye."

"Bye, hope we don't meet again. Though that seems like an impossible dream. On another note, how does he know about Sofie?"

"Oh, he has multiple ways of watching your every move. Gengar, come out." Marla then withdrew Toxtricity, put on her mask and flew off on the ghost. 

Brandon then fell unconsious. Soon after, a car pulled over outside.

In the hotel, Sofie appeared before the doctor left.

"Heavens, what's this?"

"Oh damn, Sofie!" Kyle was shocked, especially after noticing the stab wound. The doctor prepared some surgical tools while calling an ambulance.

"Kid, I can handle her, you focus on that poison antidote, seems like she might need it as well."

A few minutes later...

"Just what's happening for two of you, at such a young age, to be attacked like this?"

"Make that three, doc." A policeman walked into the room, carrying Brandon.

"Brandon?! What happened to him."

"I got reports from some people who heard some fighting noises. Sadly this usually peaceful town doesn't have a police station, so I had to come rushing in from Ashbourne City and was too late to help."

"Dammit, what did these two get up to..." Kyle kept working on the antidote, though worried for his friends.

Soon, an ambulance came and took Brandon and Sofie away. Kyle finished the antidote and gave it to them after administering a dose to Charlie. She fell asleep, leaving Kyle and the policeman.

"Kyle, would you tell me about how some teenagers can get attacked to near death?"

"Heard of Team Razor?"

"Naturally. Their HQ is right in Ashbourne City, after all."

"What? Aren't you policemen supposed to put a stop to that sort of stuff?"

"Let's just say they're not people even we wanna mess with. And, with that, I must ask again, what could you have possibly done to get those guys after you?"

"Wrong place at the wrong time. We ran into operations in Penrith Woods and the tunnel leading to this town, and stopped them." Kyle decided to keep quiet about Sofie.

"Well, from those badges over there seems like you're fighting the gyms. Since that'll eventually lead to Ashbourne, come to the police station for protection if you need it."

"Thanks, Mr.... what's your name?"

"Eddie."

"Alright. Again, thanks for bringing Brandon."

"Just doing my job." Eddie then left, returning to Ashbourne.

Kyle decided to go to the hospital and wait for Sofie and Brandon.