Part 8

"Thanks for this," uttered Missy holding up her takeout cup of coffee and nodding at Wade.

The three of them were now walking through the park, Emily chewing on half a croissant and walking between them, holding Missy's hand.

Wade flashed Missy an easy grin.

"Oh this is just the start of your charm offensive from me," he said raising his scarred eyebrows towards her. "First it's breakfast, then I ask you out to dinner, and then by the end of next year we'll be jetting off on honeymoon together."

Missy smirked.

"Wow," she uttered in a sarcastic voice, rolling her eyes. "seems like you have it all planned out. Good luck with that."

Wade smirked back.

"Don't pretend you're not hot for me..." said Wade, shooting her a playful look. "I've seen the way you stare longingly at me across the hallway."

Missy shook her head, giving a sigh.

"You must be imagining things..." she said in a high voice, looking away from him, to stop him from seeing her slight smile. "One too many bumps to the head."

She glanced back over towards her neighbour, pushing her long caramel hair back over her shoulder and narrowing her eyes goadingly.

Wade merely locked his chocolate eyes onto hers and for the slightest of seconds Missy felt her stomach lurch with something she hadn't felt in a long, long time...

But the moment quickly passed, as Emily let out a sudden cry.

"Duks!" she said excitedly, pointing over towards the pond, with what was left of her limp, drool-covered croissant.

Missy smiled gently and crouched down beside her tiny daughter, looking into her little face. "And how do we say ducks, baby?"

With that, Missy raised her hand and removed Emily's glove with the other. And together the pair of them signed the word ducks with their hands, pursing together their digits like a duck's beak.

"Good girl!" said Missy happily, giving Emily a squeeze and pressing a kiss to her head.

Missy glanced up at Wade, her face bright, as she replaced Emily's mitten.

"We're leaning sign-language," she explained, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. "Both of us...it's kinda hard-going...but she's way better at remembering it all than I am."

Wade beamed down at them and looked like he was about to say something, but the words never came...

Missy got to her feet again, teetering slightly on her high heels and pulled the bag of stale bread crusts from her pocket.

"So, shall we go feed the ducks?" Missy asked in a gentle voice as Emily looked up at her shyly.

The toddler lifted her limp croissant, titling her head questioningly.

"Yes, you can feed the ducks your pastry..." said Missy giving a small laugh, as the pair of them walked hand-in-hand down towards the pond.

Missy glanced over her shoulder at Wade.

"You coming?" she asked, gazing up at him.

Wade stood for a second, his face full of something Missy could not quite put her finger on, before he gave a nod and trudged over to them, grinning.

Five minutes later and Missy and Wade were stood on the side of the shallow duck pond watching as Emily tossed a small group of ducks one stale bread crust at a time.