Part 19

Wade paced along the busy sidewalk toward the business district of town, his usual red sheepskin jacket thrown haphazardly over his t-shirt.

He normally received some scornful glances from passers-by in this part of the city, and today was no exception.

Wade knew he did not look like the most trustworthy character, granted, but some men and women in flashy pinstripe suits and $200 haircuts, would actually take the time to cross the street to avoid him. But hey, he had experienced worse in his life than a few dismissive looks.

The merc barely even batted an eyelid as a young woman talking on a cell phone, actually scowled, side-stepping Wade as he strolled by.

It was ten minutes to three when the merc strutted through the revolving doors, hands in pockets and into Missy's office building.

He was early, he knew that, but he was sure Em wouldn't mind getting out of this place a little sooner.

I mean, even the foyer looked clinical and unwelcoming, and as Wade approached the front desk, a dark-haired receptionist in her thirties, looked him up and down with distaste upon her features.

"Can I help you?" she asked, her eyes lingering on him uneasily.

Wade gave an nonchalant grin.

"I'm looking for the day-care?" he muttered, his hands shoved deep into his jacket pockets.

The receptionist gave him another reproachful look.

"Ah, yes, Mr...Wilson, isn't it?" she said turning back to her PC and clicking her mouse a few times. "Yeah, you've been signed in. Take the elevator up to the sixth floor and it'll be on your left through the glass doors."

Wade gave a nod, and flashed the woman a smile. "Thanks..." he glanced down at her name badge. "...Bonnie."

She narrowed her eyes at him before tutting and turning away.

Wade gave a chuckle to himself as he strolled casually towards the sleek elevators, and within a couple of minutes he was flying smoothly up towards the sixth floor.

The doors pinged open and Wade swaggered out, receiving a frown from a snooty-looking man in a shirt and tie, as he did so.

Turning left, just as the receptionist had told him, he saw the looming glass doors up ahead and a boring little black and white sign outside which read 'Sixth floor Day-care'. No bright colours, no cartoon images of fluffy little animals, the likes of which you would normally find at a nursery. No. This place looked blank, and just as clinical as the lobby had seemed.

Wade pushed his way through the glass doors, taking care, as a small boy of about three, zoomed past him, holding his arms out like an airplane.

The place was slightly more child-friendly in here, with a few toys littered around and some scooters and trikes laying around on the floor. In the corner was a small playhouse where two tiny girls both about Emily's age were dressed up in pink dresses playing loudly together, shrieking and laughing.

There was no sign of Emily at first sight, or any staff for that matter...so Wade took a few cautious steps into the room.

He was no expert but surely leaving children pretty much unattended right by the front doors had to be a no –no, right?

But it wasn't until he peered around the corner, behind a large bookcase did he see just why the children had been left to their own devices.

Standing there in the corner, beside a tiny shelf full of kid's books, was a large sour-faced woman in her fifties. At this moment she was bent over, her face sneering down at a tiny brown-haired little girl Wade recognised very well indeed...