Part 14

There was a loud crackle of thunder outside their window.

It was Christmas Eve, and in the few days, since their kiss, Missy hadn't seen or heard from Wade.

She felt terrible...but knew that she had had no other choice...

Wade didn't want her...or Emily...and sooner or later he would realise that....and they would be alone again....just like they always were.

As much as it broke her heart to even think that...she knew it was true.

"It's ok sweetie," said Missy gently, strutting over to her daughter on her high heels, coming to stroke the top of her little head.

It had been raining for two days now, a thunderstorm building. And tonight heavy raindrops had lashed against the windows, and thunder and lightning had tolled for the past few hours.

Emily, who hated loud noises, was currently sat on their couch in her fluffy white jammies, cowering behind a cushion.

Missy pressed a gentle kiss to the top of her head.

"Shhhhh, baby," she uttered as Emily let out a frightened whimper.

"Wil Santy Claws be able to get fru da stowm?" said the little girl in a quiet voice, looking up at Missy, her wide, green eyes, petrified.

"Of course he will," smiled Missy comfortingly. "Hey, how about we watch a Christmas movie, yeah?"

She wanted to do anything to take the toddler's mind off the noise outside.

Emily gave a nod, and Missy flicked through the TV channels, quickly finally finding a Disney movie for the two of them to watch together.

It was late and way past Em's bedtime, but Missy knew that the toddler would never be able to sleep through all this, not right now at least.

Missy took a seat on the couch and Emily immediately scooted over to her Mom, clambering up onto her lap.

But the pair had barely got through two minutes of the cheesy movie when all over a sudden the lights above their head began to flicker.

Emily gave a tiny cry.

"Shhhh, it's ok..." said Missy gently.

But she had spoken to soon, as the pair of them were suddenly plunged into darkness, the TV flickering off too.

Missy made to get to her feet to try and grab for her phone but before she could do so, the power came back on and the a pair of them jumped as the loud chorus of a song came blaring across the TV screen.

Missy placed a hand to her heart before turning down the volume slightly.

"It wen dark, Mommy," said Emily, looking up at her mother a little concerned.

But Missy forced a smile.

"Yeah but it didn't last long, did it, baby?" said Missy, giving Emily a cuddle.

She felt so sorry for the little girl, Christmas was supposed to be a time for warmth and family, but here she was frightened and nervy.

Once upon a time Missy had imagined that their Christmases would be full of light, and magic, and laughter....their big suburban house full of people...lovely smells wafting in from the kitchen...drinking eggnog by the fire...but life just didn't work that way....not for them at least...

There was another loud clap of thunder, causing Emily to suddenly let out a scream, bursting into tears and hiding her face in Missy's blouse.

It was just then that the power went off again, the whole room pitch black for a second or two, before the lights finally flickered back on.