Part 2

It was 8.20 and Missy was already running late.

Today was her first day at her new job, and from past experience, Missy knew that bad impressions lasted.

The plan was to drop Emily off at the office crèche on the sixth floor before taking the trip up to the eleventh floor where she now worked as an office assistant.

But despite Emily waking her up super early, Missy had no idea where the morning had gone...

Between giving Emily her breakfast and letting her play a little with her favourite stuffed animal, Missy had somehow found the time to shower and get dressed.

Now she had already popped Emily into her fluffy coat and mittens, and was now pulling on her own beige trench coat, ready to head out the door.

Missy smoothed down her slightly curled hair, hoping that it looked ok.

Having only moved in a couple of days ago, she hadn't even had a change to unpack let alone find a mirror amongst the chaos of boxes. Her priority had been to get out Emily's toys and clothes, more to make the little girl feel at home than anything else.

So having dabbed on a little makeup in the bathroom mirror and pulling on a white blouse, pencil skirt and high heels, she only hoped she looked the part. It had been a while since she had worked and of course she was nervous.

But letting out a long breath to steady herself, she knew that this was all a good thing. A job meant that she could support her and Emily alone... without help from anyone else....

"You ready sweetie?" she asked her tiny daughter, bending down and grasping her hand gently.

Emily stared up at Missy, before smiling.

"Yesh," she said with a big nod, causing Missy's heart to instantly melt.

She loved her daughter more than anything in this world. But the prospect of spending time away from her like this was killing her. She knew today was definitely going to be tough for the both of them.

Missy picked up her purse, hanging it from her elbow, before tugging open the front door.

The pair of them ambled out into the hallway, only to be met with a familiar face.

"You off for an early morning stroll momma-bear?" came the sudden voice of her next-door neighbour, Wade.

There he was again. All tall and blonde and rough around the edges, standing in practically the same spot she had left him in fourteen hours earlier.

Missy immediately scowled.

"Are you stalking us?" she said narrowing her eyes, her voice icy.

But Wade merely grinned his silly grin, causing Missy to growl beneath her breath.

There was something about that swagger, that cockiness, that irritated her so much...

But he ignored her glare and merely took a step fowards, before crouching down and bouncing on his heels, coming to look directly at Emily.

"Hey there Em-bear? How you doing? You off for a play-date?" he asked her, his voice soft....different now.

Missy frowned down at him. What was his deal?

"She won't-" Missy began, snappily.

But before she could say another word, there came a sudden tiny voice...

"I play now," said Emily, in what was perhaps the shyest tone imaginable.

Her daughter never normally talked to anyone, let alone strangers, so it wasn't surprising that Missy's jaw dropped slightly.