Part 3

Missy's week had been anything but easy...each and every day Missy had gone to work, with the whispers still floating around the office...

And on top of that, Emily had been as quiet as ever...

She wasn't a fussy little girl and rarely cried, but she was as shy as anything and Missy could tell she was upset by the fact she had gotten more and more subdued and silent as they days had progressed. This past week, being away from Missy and having to deal with the loud noises and unfamiliar faces at the crèche, it was hurting her, Missy could easily see that.

But right now it was their only choice... Missy couldn't afford not to work and having a crèche in her office block was a massive saving grace for her. There wasn't many workplaces where she would be that lucky.

But today it was Friday and Missy and Emily were looking forward to the entire weekend, just the two of them.

But the moment they had arrived back at 4.30pm, after taking a detour through the ever-darkening park on the way home, their afternoon had descended into chaos.

They had opened the front door, only to find that that their power was out and by the looks of it, had been for the majority of the day. This meant that the entire apartment was freezing cold and now plunged into darkness.

"No, no, no..." uttered Missy under her breath, flipping the light on and off as Emily stuck by her heels, looking up at her Mom a little worriedly.

"Itsh dark," muttered the little girl, slurring her words slightly, which wasn't uncommon for her.

Missy stroked the top of Emily's head stepping further into the room, the only light, currently coming from the lit-hallway behind them, through the open door.

"I know sweetie, Mommy thought she'd paid the bill on Tuesday," she said matter-of-factly, pulling her cell phone from her purse, the bright light from the device illuminating her face.

She checked her bank account quickly.

Crap, the money hadn't gone out. She know she'd SEEN the bill, but with everything going on at the moment, she had obviously forgotten to pay it.

At her side, Emily clutched at her leg.

"It's ok, Mommy will fix it," said Missy biting her lip.

God, it was freezing in here. It was late November and a chill had crept over the city over the past few weeks, with the temperature having dropped dramatically, right in time for their move.

Missy hurriedly strode across the room, searching over her box-strewn living room for the pile of letters and bills she knew was around there somewhere.

But it was dark and impossible to see a thing, even with the light from her phone.

Oh could this day get any worse?!

"Is living in the dark a new trend I haven't quite caught onto yet?" came a sudden voice from behind her.

Oh it definitely could get worse...

She turned to see Wade standing in the hallway, leaning up against her doorframe, arms folded, staring into the gloomy apartment, a big grin across his face.

Missy gave an irritated huff.

"I forgot to pay the bill, ok?" she snapped, before she could stop herself.

Why was she even having to explain herself to him anyway?

Emily looked behind her, obviously wondering who Missy was talking to, her green eyes staring suddenly up at Wade.