Chapter 38

Chapter 38

"Ryder!" I yelled, running down the hallway after him. He didn't even look back. "Ryder, stop!" Nothing. "What's wrong?"

"What's wrong?" He asked suddenly, turning around and coming towards me. "I walked in, and you were kissing him." He answered. I stood there, shocked.

"And I can't do that?" I asked.

"No. As a matter of fact, you can't." He said, turning around and walking away again.

"Ryder, please come back! What did you have to talk to us about?"

He continued walking towards the exit. "Guess you'll never find out."

I stopped in the middle of the hallway as he continued to walk away from me. Suddenly, anger flooded through me, and I threw my hands forward in Ryder's direction, sending white sparks everywhere. Every door and window slammed shut, and I could hear the locks clicking. Ryder turned around quickly as I blushed and looked down at my hands. Wow. I didn't know I could do that.

"Now why can't you just do stuff like that in class?" He asked. I shrugged and shook my head. He sighed and walked towards me.

"I needed to tell you two to stay close for a few days in case if they came back. But I can see you were already doing that." I didn't say anything. I stayed silent in shame. Ryder flicked his finger slightly, and the locks clicked again, unlocking the doors. Then he turned around and walked through the door and down the steps.

I didn't move for a bit. Eventually, I felt hands on my shoulders. "Don't worry about him." Daniel said. I nodded, then turned around and gave him a hug.

"Okay."

"Do you want to come back to my room?" He asked. I shook my head.

"Actually, I think I'm just going to go to bed." I told him.

"Alright."

~~~

The next morning, I woke up from my dream and checked the clock: 8:14. Yes, it was a Saturday morning, but I didn't want to waste the rest of my day.

I stood up and got in the shower, allowing the warm water to soothe my muscles.

Later, I went down to breakfast amd grabbed some food. Daniel wasn't awake yet, and Ryder would definitely not be sitting with me, so I sat alone at a small table in the corner.

"Annalise?" I turned around to see Ryder, standing with his tray in one hand. "Can I sit with you?"

What? After last night, Ryder wanted to sit with me?

"Um, sure." I said, gesturing to the seat across from me.

"Look, I'm sorry about last night," he started. "I was angry about Katrina and Devin and Logan, and my burn still hurts." I looked down at the bandage on his arm. Blood was leaking through.

"Ryder! You need to get that looked at!" I said sternly.

"No, this is a good opportunity for you. I want you to make your fingers icy and put them on my arm."

"I-I'll try." I took a deep breath, then looked at my fingertips. I thought of ice, and immediately my hand turned bluish white.

"There you go," Ryder said, smiling. I set my hand on top of his bandage, and the tension in his body seemed to disappear. "That feels good."

I smiled and kept my hand on there for awhile. We both were calm and seemed to be enjoying each other's company.

"Ryder!"

That is, until we heard Katrina.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
3/16/15

Thanks for reading!

What has been your favorite part of the story so far?