Chapter 44

Chapter 44

When I woke up the next morning, I had a headache.

"Ugh," I groaned, getting up from bed. I went into the bathroom and took a shower, then came back out with new clothes on.

There was a knock on my door, and I opened it to see Ryder.

"Ryder? What are you doing here?" I asked him.

"My spell should have lasted 8 hours. I came to check up on you." He replied. "Do you still love Nick?"

I shook my head. "Nick? Of course not, he's a creep."

"Thank goodness."

"So what was that last night?" I asked. "That was really weird."

"That," he said, sitting on the bed. "Was a love potion."

"Really?"

"Yep. And a strong one too."

"So I just fell in love with Nick?" I asked, confused.

"Yep, just like that. I know, it's weird. But very strong, and very dangerous. If anything tastes like that again, throw it out and get me, okay? People can get hurt from that stuff."

I nodded. "Good thing you were there to help."

Ryder smirked. "Ah, it's all good. I'm used to being the hero."

I giggled a little and put on my shoes. "Do you want to get breakfast with me?"

"Sure," he replied, standing up.

We went downstairs for breakfast and went through the line, picking out food. After, Ryder brought me to a table where a few of his friends were sitting.

"Hey guys, this is Annalise," he said, gesturing towards me. "And Annalise, you remember Jake and Chris from last night, right?" I nodded.

"Sorry about Nick," Jake said. "He can be a jerk sometimes."

"It's fine," I told him. "You two seem nicer."

We sat down and ate, making small talk. I stayed silent for the most part, listening to the boys talk about guy stuff.

"Ryder!" We all heard a voice yell.

"I swear, I hear that way too much." I told him.

"Eh, I am used to it by now." Ryder replied. We turned around in our seats, and very surprisingly, Daniel was storming through the cafeteria.

"What the heck happened last night?" He demanded, grabbing Ryder by his collar.

"Dude, get off!" Ryder replied, standing up and shoving Daniel away.

"Did you drug her? Is that the reason why you wanted her to come to that party so bad?"

"No! Of course not! I didn't even do it to her, it was Nick!"

"Yeah, right." Daniel said as he ran at Ryder, throwing punches. Ryder blocked the blows and sent some sparks in Daniel's direction."

"Stop!" I yelled at them, pulling Ryder away. But he was too strong, and my pulling didn't seem to even slow him down.
"Ryder!"

By this time a crowd had gathered to watch. They were in a full on fight now, and spells were being thrown back and forth. I think eventually Ryder was tired of the fight, because he opened his palm and threw a green sphere. It hit Daniel, and he instantly collapsed, shaking, until he was unconscious.

"Daniel!" I yelled, running over to him. I shook him, but he didn't wake up. "Daniel, please! Wake up!"

"It's not going to work, Annalise. He's out for a few days at least." Ryder said quietly. I looked up at him.

"You." I said angrily, standing up and marching over to him. "How dare you do this to him?" I yelled in his face.

"Annalise, calm down. I had to."

"No, you didn't!" I yelled. "Get out of here. I never want to see you around me or Daniel ever again." I cried, going back to Daniel.

So Ryder turned around and walked away. But even though I had told him to leave, I knew that for awhile there would be a great sadness.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
6/8/15

Question: How do you guys feel about what Ryder did? Do you think he did the right thing? Or do you think he should have just talked it out?