Chapter 64

Chapter 64

I woke up that night to a small creaking sound. My eyes snapped open and darted to the clock. 1 AM again? My eyes moved to the door, which had most likely made the creaking sound. Last I checked, it was locked. But now here it was, cracked open. I stood up, turned the light on and opened the door all the way. No one. I poked my head out of the door and looked up and down the hallway. There was no one there. Hmm. I closed the door and turned around, screaming as I saw someone in front of me.

"Shh!" Ryder said. I put my hand on my heart, feeling its quickened pace. 

"What's wrong with you? You almost scared me to death!"

"Sorry," he said. "I have to sneak over here while everyone is asleep."

"Ever heard of knocking?"

"Well yeah, but you're so cute when you're scared."

I gave him an evil look, but he only smirked. 

"This isn't funny, Ryder. I'm getting married in two weeks!" 

His face got serious. "I know, I'm so sorry that this is happening. To be honest I really didn't expect it at all. How's Daniel?" 

"Well he was let go from the prison," I told him. "But he can't leave the castle until the wedding in two weeks." 

Ryder looked like he was thinking hard for a minute. "So in two weeks he's going to try to kill us both."

I shook my head. "Not exactly. He wants to start having children right away. He needs to have an heir to his throne and..." I trailed off. 

"Well it's not going to happen. We'll figure something out, I promise."

"Ryder, you always say that!" I said, raising my voice. "You told me that everything would be fine, and you said you'd take care of me. But now look what's happening! In two weeks I'm going to be marr--"

He grabbed my waist and pulled me to him, then put his lips on mine. I stood still in shock, then finally reacted and started kissing him back. His lips were very soft, despite what I thought they'd be, but then I realized I should have remembered since he was the one to kiss me before, after all. He rubbed his hands up and down my back, but brought one up to hold my cheek. Even though my heart was pounding, I couldn't stop. I wrapped my arms around his neck in attempt to get closer to him. Ryder kept going as well, and he began kissing more passionately. After another minute, he broke the kiss and rested his forehead on mine. "This is hard for me too, Annalise." 

I stayed silent for a little while, trying to catch my breath. I felt a buzz of power flood through my veins. "I know. I'm sorry." Wow. Not only did Ryder just kiss me, but now he's admitting that he's, well, jealous? "I didn't know you felt this way."

"I have for awhile now."

"Me too."

Ryder smirked. "So you wouldn't object if I did it again?"

I shook my head and gave him a small smile. "Probably not."

He smiled and pulled me in closer to him, then kissed me again. I smiled at the power I could feel pulsing through my veins, and I could feel mine going into him as well. But eventually he let go again, and it felt like part of me was missing. 

"Are you going to stay here for a bit?" I asked him.

He shrugged. "I can stay for a little while I guess. I'll have to leave before everyone wakes up." 

I nodded, then walked over to my bed and covered up in my sheets. Ryder went to the other side and crawled next to me. I turned the bedside lamp off, and put my head down onto my pillow. Ryder put his arm around me and pulled me closer to him. He began rubbing my arm and back, and before I knew it, I was fast asleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

7/9/16

Thanks for reading!