Chapter 56

Chapter 56 (The picture is of Annalise's mask)

Saturday evening, I was getting ready with Sarah in her room. She seemed a bit sad, but I wasn't quite sure why. 

"What's wrong, Sarah?" I asked. 

She sighed. "I just wish Daniel was here." She replied, finishing her hair.

"I don't know who this Daniel guy is." I said softly. "But he must have been pretty great if you miss him so much."

"He was. He was your best friend. And I... I really, really liked him."

"Oh," I said quietly.

She gave me a small smile. "But tonight we're both going to find someone. Or several someones!"

"Uhh, if you say so."

I let Sarah finish putting on my makeup, and I slipped into my purple dress. I used a straightener on my hair, and I definitely did look very different. I placed my purple mask on and glanced in the mirror again. Unrecognizable. Perfect. Sarah was already in her black dress, and she had also put on her mask. She looked different, but I couldn't tell if I would be able to recognize her or not. 

"Ready?" Sarah asked.

I nodded. "I think so."

We went downstairs and entered the main hall, where tables were set up. Sarah and I both paid our entrance fee and walked into the ballroom. The decorations were beautiful, and white table cloths covered every table. In the front of the room, an orchestra was playing classical music. 

"We're going to have a good night," Sarah reminded me. "Play hard to get. Find someone. The first person you see."

I nodded, and we separated for the night. I looked around, and my eyes landed on a guy several feet away from me. He was about my height, so a little short, but cute nonetheless, even though I couldn't see very much of his face. I tapped on his shoulder, and he turned around.

"Would you like to dance with me?" I asked. 

He smiled. "Absolutely."

I took his hand, and we went to the main dancing area. He placed a hand on my waist and took my hand. I placed my other hand on his shoulder. Pretty soon, we started dancing to the music. Neither of us were very good, but I didn't mind. 

"So, are you having a good night so far?" The guy asked.

"I just got here," I replied. "But it seems to be going well."

"Well you look great." He said. "My name's Nate. Yours?"

I smirked at him. "I think that would ruin the purpose of a masquerade ball." 

"Oh, you're going to play like that, huh?" he asked, laughing.

"Yep!" 

After a couple minutes of dancing, Nate stepped on my foot. "Sorry!" He apologized. 

"It's no problem at all." I said with a smile. 

"So, can I at least ask you what color group you're in?"

I laughed. "Sure. I'm in the red group."

"Whoa, one of those?" He asked. "I'm in the purple group." Hmm, just like how I was. Was he shy too? Maybe we are quite a bit alike. "I'm sometimes shy." Yep. A lot alike. 

"I am too," I said. "But it's easier to have confidence with a mask on."

"Agreed."

Just then, the song ended. "Would you like to dance again later?" Nate asked.

"Sure," I said with a smile. 

We parted, and I grabbed a glass of punch at the front table. I sat down at a table, and Sarah joined me a few minutes later.

"How's it going?" She asked.

"It went pretty well. I danced with one guy, and we seemed to hit it off. What about you?" 

"Pretty good. Danced with two guys. They seemed fine, but I've never seen them before. Anyways, I've got to go. I want to dance with as many as possible." She said. 

"Alright, have fun." 

Sarah left the table, and I sipped my punch. I looked around the room, and my eyes stopped on someone. He was staring at me, but not in a creepy way. I stared back, and he started walking towards me. Crap. Why did I stare? I sipped my punch nervously, waiting for him to approach me. 

"Hey,"

The voice was deep and soothing. I looked up. 

Oh my goodness. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

6/19/16

WHO IS IT?!?!

Thanks for reading.

Comments?