chapter 1

As my father turned on the television, a frown washed apon his once happy face.
" Now Shirley Lee smith! Never talk to strangers!" He said in a serious tone of voice, looking at the news report on kidnapping.
It seemed every year, in my town, at least 3 girls would go missing. Sometimes, bodies, or traces of blood were found. When I thought of being tooken away....well, it never crossed my mind. I could see how concerned my father was towards me since I'm his only daughter, and it was 1976! Besides me, I have two older brothers, Michael, who's 18, and Cory who just turned 17. I hated my brothers, my only friend is my best friend, Tommy!
*******
About three months passed, and Christmas was around the corner. Around that time, I found it unusual how, Tennisha Banks, the most popular girl in school could have missed three months of school, when she was the leader of the cheer squad, and had a perfect attendance. I was use to being picked on by her, like when she would chant" Tommy and Shirley sitting in a tree, k-i-s-s-i-n-g," when she didn't show up to school for the first month, I knew something had to be up!
"Hey Shirley! Did you hear about the disapearence of Tenisha Banks?" Tommy asked. I rolled my eyes in my head, and replied "she probably went to her grandmothers to have her bastard kid!" Tommy and I laughed.

Tommy and I laughed our way to the cafeteria, and grabbed milk, and a bag of chips. What I hated about Tennishas dissapearence was that when I drank my milk carten, her picture kept staring at me! Some kids hated her so much, they stomped on the carten, and threw it away.
After a while, I accepted the fact that there was a great probability Tennisha Banks was probably dead. One night, I stayed late at the library, and read old new papers on kidnappings around the area. Just last year, my 4th grade teacher, Mr. Legman, was charged for killing a girl that I happened to know from grade 2. Tommy's uncle, Mr.Monroe, would never do that! He was a teacher too.
I biked home, just in time to here the phone ring.
" Hey Shirley, wanna come to my uncles house will me?" Tommy asked.
"Sure!" I cheered. How I loved to go to Mr.Monroe's house.