01. ain't no sunshine

"The best way to change the future is to invent it

"The best way to change the future is to invent it."

•• ━━━━━ ••●•• ━━━━━ ••

Summers in Yeoju were never spectacular. They were usually warm, cloudy, and wet. And Yeoju-gun, being the historical area it is, was filled with tourists, especially during the summer days.

With the listed circumstances, vacations there were boring. Excluding the bike rides and endless walks by the Han river, Hayun would rather spend her summer with her friends, visiting Minjeong's mom in Busan. The long rides were durable if it was for the beautiful Busan beaches.

But, this summer was different. Even with the partly cloudy weather, her day would instantly get better upon seeing her older brother. Now, with her sunshine being gone, the forecasted sunny summer seemed pointless. The sky would immediately darken as soon as she heard her parents arguing. And her brother was not by her side, trying to block the shouting with barely functioning walkman and a Nirvana cassette tape blasting in her ears. She felt lonely and empty.

The ringing of her bedside telephone would usually wake Hayun up in a minute, but now she could barely move. Going to school was her mother's idea, of course. She knew they were mourning over Yejun's death too. He was, well, he was perfect, in every possible way. He had perfect grades, perfect looks, perfect image, perfect life. Hayun rolled over to the left side of her bed, trying to grab the ringing telephone.

"Hello?" she answered, rubbing her eyes.

"Hello? Yun!" Jimin's excited voice rang in her ears, "I heard you're going to school today, right?"

"Um, yeah. My mom's making me go. You know how she is."

"I think it's good that you're going. We missed you this summer, you know? Minjeong's mom asked for you." Jimin's voice sounded more melancholy and quiet. "It wasn't that fun without you, Yun." Hayun didn't know how to answer. She missed them, but the thought of going to school and having to face all the rumors and whispers scared her.

"Yeah, um. See you today." Hayun quickly answered before ending the call.

She stumbled from her bed, entering the small bathroom. If the cold water reaching her skin didn't wake her up, her mother's yelling most definitely did. "Shin Hayun! Get up, this instant!"

"I'm already up!" she yelled back, grabbing the towel that was sitting above the sink.

"For fuck's sake," she murmured under her breath, looking up at the mirror. She stared at her reflection, touching her face, trying to discern what makes her look so lifeless. Are they sure Yejun was the dead one because Hayun sure wasn't far from looking like an actual dead corpse. She pulled her cheeks up, forming a smile.

"I want you down in a second!" her mother yelled once again.

"Shit. Fine, I'm coming!" Hayun rolled her eyes, quickly grabbing her school bag and sprinting down the stairs.