06. it's a closed case

"It's no better to be safe than sorry"

•• ━━━━━ ••●•• ━━━━━ ••

Hayun was mad. No, she was furious.

Who does this person think they are messing around with her like this. She walked the hallway, her shoes clicking against the cold school tiles as she scrunched the note in her pocket. She entered the classroom, angrily sitting down.

She felt a light tap on her shoulder before turning around. "Did you get-"

"Yes, Mark! Yes, I did get the note!" she whisper-yelled, staring at the boy behind her.

"No need to get aggressive." Renjun, who sat next to him, spoke up, "We have a club meeting later, by the way."

"Since when?"

"Since the club schedule got released," Renjun answered, shaking his head. That could be true. Hayun was too stressed to pay attention to the notice board.

Great. The last thing Hayun needs is principal Jung forcing them to write another crappy article about this year's school resolutions. She rolled her eyes, dropping her head on the table.

She fiddled the crinkled note in her pocket, her thoughts returning to the situation. It's utterly ridiculous. Murdering someone is a serious crime and playing with the victim's close ones like this is childish and sick. Whoever this person is, they need major help. But, according to Hayun, they need to pay for what they did first.

Hayun wasn't even aware of how fast her classes ended. The time wasn't consequential in her case. Since the accident, every day seems to be the same.

Sometimes it felt like weeks, months, years. Other days, time just flew right past her like it didn't mean anything. Same with people, sounds, objects, emotions. It was all a blur timeline for the young girl. No one taught her how to deal with it. No one said: "Hey, let's talk about it." or "Hey, this is how to stop feeling like shit." Because frankly, no one knew how to deal with it either.

The next thing Hayun knew, she was walking to her club meeting when an announcement from the broadcast radio tore her from her thoughts. 

"As declared last year, the student for the international soccer project has been chosen. Congratulations to our first year Jung Sungchan! Good luck with your school preparations and all the best in the future!"

Hayun and Renjun exchanged looks before the boy quietly approached her, "You okay?" 

She knew why Renjun asked her that. Before everything happened, Yejun was considered the best soccer player in the younger league. Everyone was sure he got the project spot secured.

"I'm happy for Sungchan. He deserves it." she didn't lie. Sungchan and Yejun played together before, and both were aware of their skills. Sungchan's father, their high school's principal, made sure his son got the best training in the city. For both soccer and hockey. He was, without any doubt, the second-best choice after Yejun.