09. extracurricular

"What the hell am I doin' here?"

•• ━━━━━ ••●•• ━━━━━ ••

Spying on someone after school is particularly challenging when half of the group participates in extracurricular activities that require personal attendance. Yeoju high takes its sports program very seriously. So that already crosses out Haechan, Jeno, Mark, Jisung, Jimin, and Minjeong.

Ningning and Chenle have to attend drama club because of the upcoming school play as both got leading roles. And since it's Monday, Aeri has to stay behind with Hendery to help prepare the broadcasting schedule for the following week. That leaves Hayun with Renjun and Jaemin.

Both photography and newspaper clubs don't take attendance, so the trio had to accept the job of following Nakamoto Yuta to whatever afterschool business he had to take care of.

"Right, so how long do we have to keep standing here?" Renjun asked, eyeing his two friends as they sat on the cold hallway floor.

"Number one, we're sitting, and number two until Yuta comes out of the classroom. I thought that was obvious." Hayun replied, shaking her head.

They were seated behind one of the lockers, quietly observing the door of the said classroom, waiting for a certain long-haired boy to exit.

"Well, my butt is cold. And I hate that we had to do this. Out of everyone!"

"Stop whining, Renjun," Jaemin pushed the boy next to him, "This is serious. We got to keep watch."

Renjun rolled his eyes, turning his attention back to the classroom door. "Hey," Hayun whispered, quietly shifting closer to Jaemin, "about those photos."

"Sorry Yun, I got nothing. I still have a few old films to develop even though I don't think it has anything to do with the fight." the boy sighed.

Jaemin felt sad that he couldn't be of any help. Seeing, Hayun this unhappy made him feel just as miserable. He always admired her confident extroverted personality. Even though they barely spoke before the incident, Hayun always gave him the warmest smile whenever their gazes met in the school hallway. In all honesty, he wanted to get to know that Hayun. Whoever this is right now... is far from what he imagined her to be.

"No, it's ok. I'm sorry for bothering you with this all the time," the girl sighed, dropping her shoulders, "I just brought all of you guys into this shit. My shit. The stuff that I have to figure out myself. I'm sorry."

"Hey, you don't have to apologize. We believe you, and we want to help," Jaemin tried comforting her, "We will get to the bottom of this together, I promise. The sunshine club, remember."

Hayun smiled at his kind words, nodding her head before replying, "Yeah, The sunshine club, you're right. Thank you, Jaemin."

It was weird how she had known Jaemin for a long time but never had the chance to have a proper conversation with him. The same goes for the rest of the sunshine club. Maybe if she was bolder, they could've been friends already. Back when she was happy. When she was herself. Back when he was still here.

"I hate to intrude on this lovely conversation, but our target just left the classroom," Renjun whispered to the two.

"Good job, Renjun! You were the one whining and look at you now saving our asses." Hayun mumbled as Renjun rolled his eyes.

•• ━━━━━ ••●•• ━━━━━ ••

Following someone that could possibly be your brother's killer felt extremely weird to Hayun. Since Yejun kicked him out of the soccer team, Yuta had no other extracurricular activities to attend, so the trio was curious as to why he was in such a hurry.

"Why is he turning around so much?" Renjun groaned as the three squished behind the closest locker.

"He doesn't want to be seen." Hayun squinted her eyes. What are you hiding, Nakamoto Yuta?

As they followed him behind the school grounds, the group found themselves next to the old school's hockey ring. What in the world would he be doing here?

It was getting rather uncomfortable, squeezed between two other people crouching behind a stone fence. But despite the discomfort, Hayun observed the boy, trying hard to read him. 

He was visibly nervous. He constantly shifted his weight from one foot to the other and fidgeted with the hem of his shirt. Hayun also noticed that his eyes were searching for something as if he was waiting.

"He's waiting for someone."

"You think?" Jaemin replied, still intensely staring at Yuta. 

"Yes. See how he's looking in that direction," Hayun pointed, "It's obvious."

"That's the back entrance of the hockey rink," Renjun remarked, "Do you think it's somebody from the hockey team?"

"Impossible. The players have practice right now, no? I've heard that the coach is super strict about missing practice."

Hayun shook her head, but as soon as she uttered those words, a bright image of red and blue emerged from the mentioned area. Nobody in school could miss the glowing colors of Yeoju dinosaurs' jersey. It was hard to catch the person's face due to an unsuitable observation point, but the white number on his back made it very clear.

It was Yeoju high's infamous number 24, Liu Yangyang.

short chapter again
and i hate it... again

I'm having a hard time rn and im writing at least 10 other things so I feel like my writing for this has been getting worse smh

I hope that I can get my shit together soon get on with the plot and go back to my old writing style bc this ain't it 😔💔

anyways if ur still reading I love you so so much - im still improving and learning so hopefully the story will get better the more I write <3333