04. i promise to keep this a secret

"I know you were way too bright for me"

•• ━━━━━ ••●•• ━━━━━ ••

Yeoju High library was like any average school library. Neatly arranged shelves with a few books displayed here and there. One of them being the school's yearbook. The librarian, Mrs. Lee, replaced the yearbooks every year. It sat in front of small vanity with all of the school's awards and honors.

Instead of all the informative and scientifically helpful books, students would often gather around the vanity, making fun of each other's yearbook quotes or photos. It was one of the most famous school events. All the clubs and students unite to form a perfect and unique yearbook every year. And by being the newspaper reporter, Hayun also had a significant role as one of the editors.

She traced the dusty book covers, humming to the sound coming from her brother's old walkman. Yejun has a specific mixtape made for every situation, so waiting inside the dull library with her friends whining on the side was an easy job for Hayun as long as she had the old device pressed to her ears.

"Where are they?" Minjeong cried, resting her head on the shelf. Given that it was 20 minutes later than scheduled, the five girls were still waiting for the others to arrive. The group agreed to meet after the last period, right between the history and fantasy sections. They promised not to touch the yearbook until everyone was present, so the girls rested on the cold wood floor at the end of the library.

Hayun spent most of her schooling sitting in that dark, quiet corner, flipping through the numerous books, waiting for her brother to finish his soccer practice. She would often complain about his long workouts and her endless waiting, but even now, the same feeling followed her. It was just that this time it was pointless. Yejun is never coming back. So, is it even worth waiting then?

Her thoughts were interrupted by a light tap on her shoulder. "You okay?"

Jaemin stared at the sad girl, squinting his eyes at her apparent attempt to avoid his question. "When did you arrive?"

"We just got here," Chenle answered, eying the library like it was the first time he stepped into it. The entire group was visibly tired. Honestly, who would want to spend the first day of school staying overdue in a dusty old library, searching for unexisting clues?

"Let's just quickly flip through this yearbook. I need to be home by four." Aeri groaned, helping half-asleep Minjeong get up. The group gathered around the small vanity, their looks already filling with confusion. The yearbook was closed. Everyone knows Mrs. Lee likes to keep the yearbook open. She says it evens out the crowded vanity and makes the display look better.

"This is weird." Haechan pointed out, stepping forward to open the exceptional book but eventually stopped when he noticed something resting between the pages, "There's something tucked inside."