Chapter 4

Saturday, 09:26 am.

"Ah, just gonna kidnap you." He smiled at her devilishly.

Nya stared at him with wide eyes. "What?!" She yelled. She tried to open her door, but couldn't. Many images crossed her mind at once, questioning the intentions of the man next to her.

What if he wasn't that innocent boy she once called her best friend and had a crush on? Back then, he wouldn't have even been able to hurt a fly without getting scared about whether it had a family or not. What if he did have another, illegal job other than being a teacher and now that she was locked in his car together with-

It was when she heard hysterical laughter, that she looked at him again. Jay wiped away a stray tear, catching his breath. "You did not just believe that!" He exclaimed, suppressing a second wave of laughter. Then he unlocked the doors again and saw the relief in her eyes.

"What was that about?!" She crossed her arms, giving him a death stare.

He smiled. "Nothing, just giving you a taste of my broken humor. It's called acting."

Nya groaned. "On second thought, I'd rather stay home." She said as she turned away, putting her hand on the handle.

"Wait!" Jay suddenly got very anxious, watching her opening the door and climbing out. After she didn't react to him, he opened his door as well and got out of the car.

She was just about to cross the road again, when she felt a hand holding onto her own, dragging her backwards. She turned around to face a very worried Jay.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make you mad. Please don't go back, I'll do-" He stopped mid-sentence when, this time, she began to laugh hysterically. Feeling relief course through his veins, he also began to nervously laugh a little.

"You're not the only one with 'acting skills'." She said after their laughter died down. After one last sigh, she took a look down to see their hands still in each other's.

Jay then also looked down and as his eyes widened, he quickly pulled his hand away, leaving hers longing for his.

Nya smiled, though. "We should get going now." She said, walking back towards the car. She opened the door and climbed inside, putting on her seatbelt.

He then sat down on his seat again, putting his seatbelt on as well. "I was thinking about eating some breakfast first, then we could take a walk in the park, I know a beautiful place near a lake where I saw swans. Swans! They're so beautiful. Anyways, then I had in mind to go to the movies last. What do you think?" He then looked at her, seeing her staring at him. He suddenly got very nervous. "I mean, we don't have to... if you d-don't want to."

"No, no. I think it's a perfect idea." Nya quickly confirmed, calming him down.

He nodded and started the engine.

The car ride was pleasant, with both of them telling the other one about things they liked and stuff they did in their free time. They also realized that they hadn't really changed that much about their personalities and habits, even if they hadn't had any contact for about four years.

Once the car seemed to slow down, Nya looked out of the window to see one of the finest restaurants in town. She turned to face him. "What are we doing here?" She raised an eyebrow.

While looking for a good parking spot, he answered. "We're gonna have some breakfast, duh."

"But... I would've been fine with McDonalds, to be honest. I don't need to eat here." She crossed her arms.

After having found a spot, Jay parked inside the white markings. "Nuh-uh, there's no going back now. Besides," He then looked at her. She could see a faint blush on his freckled cheeks. "I already booked us a table, so there's nothing you can do about it." He stuck out his tongue to her like a child.