lexa ( au )

[ requested ]
this one also has a flashback, so flashbacks will be written in italics.

prompts
20 | "i miss you."
22 | "it's just a dream"
7 | touching foreheads
12 | horse riding together

set after lexa's death.

"lexa?"

"i'm right here!"

lexa had left you a note on your pillow earlier, insisting for you to meet her at the training grounds overlooking polis. you had followed her instructions carefully, and by the time you arrived at the hill, the sun was already setting.

the skies were painted with beautiful pinks, reds, and oranges. it was mesmerising.

lexa approached you from behind, snaking her arms around your waist and leaving a gentle kiss on your neck. you giggled, and turned around in her arms. your palm gently brushing her face, while staring into her forest green eyes.

but something was wrong, something was missing.

"come on Y/N!"

surrounded by glowing butterflies, the only thing to focus on was your beloved commander. who was waiting impatiently for you to get on your horse and stop admiring her. although she loved it, you two had things to do.

you mounted your horse with a huff, and lexa laughed. it was such a rare and  beautiful sound, that unfortunately was not heard often enough.

lexa had already started riding off, shouting for you to catch up, which of course you did in a matter of seconds. now, riding through green fields together, with the wind blowing through your hair, you felt free.

you felt safe, lexa is there.

lexa was safe.

"lexa?"

"it's okay, Y/N."

her voice was fading, it wasn't okay. nothing was okay.

"lexa!"

your voice was filled with such anguish, and it echoed over the hill. you were sobbing now, where had your commander gone? dropping to your knees, your hands came up to face as you cried into them.
lexa was there now.

"i miss you."

she was leaning against you, whispering sweet words and kissing your hair. she lifted your chin ever so slightly, so she could look into your eyes, before pressing your foreheads together.

it's just a dream.