Soft for children (3)

apologies for the delay. — asshat-t

It's only been a while since Cale had summoned Asmodeus, but he was already so emotionally exhausted by their presence.

The demon's incessant pestering and their rather intimate approach to communication was not something Cale was used to. Nonetheless, Cale endured, all for the sake of his safety and benefit.

Thinking back, this wasn't all that bad. The original Asmodeus in the book was far more intense than the one he was currently entertaining. In the original story, Asmodeus would touch Choi Han inappropriately and at worse times. They would, quite literally, stick to the protagonist like a koala would to a branch. To this day, Cale still wonders why Choi Han had never done anything about it.

Maybe Asmodeus was secretly Choi Han's love interest?

That would've been an interesting twist. However, that was highly unlikely. Asmodeus had been more of a tool, both in fiction and reality. Asmodeus was nothing but a living plot armor with no character development in the story whatsoever, and they were more of a fan service material in the book, as Cale had observed back then.

All-in-all, Asmodeus is a very unnecessarily clingy character— no, actually — they were a very unnecessary character as a whole.

"Hey master, why are you buying so much bread?"

A velvety voice chirped from beside him, some of the words that escaped their lips dragging out in long and serene tunes, making the demon sound sluggish and groggy. The sound of their voice, combined with their rather lascivious looks, made the demon shine brightly. This caused passersby to eye them in silent fascination.

Cale only hummed as his eyes skimmed over the people flocking the streets who were forming a crowd, a hand on his chin. He held a rather large bag filled with warm, freshly-baked bread on the other, most of the bag's weight being carried by his upper back.

If Asmodeus was this attractive, one can't help but wonder why they weren't a deuteragonist or a love interest in a romance novel instead.

"To retrieve something important," Cale replied nonchalantly, murmuring a small thanks to the merchant as he tossed them a small gold coin. The merchant gawked.

"I see," Asmodeus replied, treading after Cale as they began to walk away from the merchant, the small crowd Asmodeus' looks had formed parting like the red sea as they made their escape.

Cale then proceeded to tread past the muddy streets. He could feel several gazes boring into his back, and he quickened his pace slightly. He felt uncomfortable. Although he's already had a few days of experience suffering from being locked underneath their judging eyes, it didn't make it any less bothersome to be looked at with such distaste.

The original Cale's reputation exceeds Kim Rok-Soo's expectations.

Suddenly, he felt something slither on his arm and wrap itself around it. Cale suppressed a flinch, abruptly halting his tracks and turning his eyes to look at the person beside him.

And there they were — Asmodeus, gazing up at Cale with a seemingly innocent look on their face with their arms wrapped around his limb, elbow poking at Cale's side.

Cale's left eyebrow twitched. He sighed in resignation.

'Really...'

This demon does the most unexpected things at the most random times.

He may not like it now, but he may get used to it in the future. Hopefully.

There it was again, that feeling of having done something wrong.