Demonic jealousy (4)

the things im writing aren't there for nothing, but you're gonna have to discard the part where i said asmodeus(y/n) finds loopholes in everything. i can't write incredibly smart/dokja-ish(omniscient reader) characters for the love of me. — asshat-t

Although Cale's thoughts could be considered as "jumping into conclusions", it was sensible. Never has Cale seen (or read) Asmodeus crouching down and appeasing anyone unless it was with Choi Han. 

Seeing Asmodeus lowering themselves to children made something click within Cale, as if he's finally found a missing piece from a puzzle after weeks of searching for it. 

I looked at the families that flocked the streets. Pain tugged at me as my previous moments with my old family flashed before my eyes.

They all looked so joyful and carefree. I felt both envious and happy.

The sides of my lips lifted upwards, but there was this bitter feeling within me that was combating the joy I felt for them.

I looked beside me and found myself gazing at Asmodeus.

Strange... They had this odd look in their eyes that I couldn't discern. Although they held no expression on their face, their gaze was on the children that roamed about. It didn't seem as if they held any malicious intent — it was just, odd and somewhat... happy?

— excerpt from "The Birth of a Hero"

'I initially thought they were predatory towards children. Well, that thought still has the possibility of being true, but for the sake of my sanity I will regard this as them being soft for children.'

Cale thinks as he remembered the lines from the original book. The paragraphs mentioned before had previously confused him, however Asmodeus approaching the two children earlier had eased that confusion.

There was a sort of tender hesitance that wrapped around that gentle breeze when the demon had rushed past him and towards the children. Cale can say with all certainty that not once had Asmodeus displayed this type of enthusiasm during his time with them, and all throughout the parts he'd read in the novel. 

Except for the parts with children involved, of course. Asmodeus always had a strange reaction when children were involved.

Cale peeked at the children and saw that the two of them had left the entrance. He looks at Asmodeus and sees them kneeling down and taking out a piece of bread from the bag he was carrying.

"Did you plan on feeding this pitiful soul, master?" 

Asmodeus asked, shifting his gaze towards Cale and locking eyes with him. Cale's breathing hitches momentarily before he regains his bearings. 

'I'm still not used to how sharp their eyes are...'

"Yes, I was."

Cale responds, stiffly placing his hands inside of his pockets and walking to stand beside the demon. 

Cale peers down at the abyss within the hole in front of them, and he felt nervousness strike his core. 

He thinks at first that the nervousness was radiating from the hole, but he soon realizes that it was caused by his contractual servant, who was oozing a not-so small amount of feelings of betrayal. Asmodeus lowers their head.

'What is it now?'

Suddenly, the tender, elegant youth he'd placed his eyes on before faded before him and was replaced by an impassive and cold demon. 

What? What did Cale do? Did he say something wrong?

"Why are you looking for more protection?"

Slowly, Asmodeus speaks, each syllable that escaped their lips sounding more desolate than the last. Cale was growing increasingly confused and the feeling of being in the wrong for something that was not visible in his eyes began to blare. 

Cale stares at Asmodeus' form, a bead of sweat slithering it's way down his cheek. 

Finally, Asmodeus stares up at him. Although their face remained impassive, their sharp eyes flared.

"Am I not enough? Am I too weak for you?"

Asmodeus bolts upwards and clasps Cale's hands. The action was so fast and unprecedented at Cale had to lean backwards and take a step back.

'What's this sudden burst of energy?'

"Is it because of your allergy master? Is that it?"

'Just let me feed the tree, dammit!'

so, asmodeus is: clingy, childish(to their master), lazy, impassive, otherwordly(to outsiders), cruel, unforgiving, uncaring(to threats). — asshat-t