The dance

November 1975, Narcissa Malfoy's pov

It was a chilly night. The full moon was shining through the dark blue sky. We were walking through the streets, Lucius and I. I reached for his hand, tried to hold it but he let it go right away. He looked tense. "Not right now, Pet." The cloak covered our heads and body. Lucius walked with a mask on, but my pale face was sparkling under the cloak. Not that anyone could see us. No soul walked so late in these streets. I was deep in thought because I didn't realize he was closer to me, grabbed my arm and suddenly we were somewhere else.

We were standing in front of a huge building. Except for us, the area was deserted. I understood that, If I hadn't a business here, I would never be here. It was settled for our meetings. But today it wasn't just a normal meeting. It was more a celebration, a ball. I loved masked balls. It was something different than all the meetings and talks about mudbloods and murdering.

I had one shoulder evening gown on, which was blood red with a slit and deep cut. My hair was in a bun, with two loose strands before my face. I thought I looked nice, but Lucius would call it sexy. Lucius got me out of my thoughts when he grabbed my hand and pulled me along with him. We walked through a long dark corridor. "These walls can use some happy colours." I said. It was just a joke, I hoped that Lucius would like it, but he looked at me for a second. And didn't say anything. I sighed. "When will this long corridor end? Merlin, we are walking here for hours." "We're walking here just ten minutes, don't whine like a kid." "I'm twenty." Lucius sighed. I didn't say anything anymore.

"Cissy, you're finally here!" Bella walked towards me. "Oh, no. We're beginning already." And with that Lucius disappeared. And when he was gone, Bella was standing in front of me. "Why are you so late? Couldn't Lucius take his shit ready?" "Bella, don't talk like that, language. And it was more because of me." "Yes, of course. You couldn't choose which dress you wanted, right? And then it was your hair and makeup." Why did she always have to be mean to me? I'm not that vain. Arguing with Bella was never a good idea, so I had to compliment her: "You're looking nice. I love the dress." "You're bad in lying." She said. Actually, I was good at lying, and she knows it. And it wasn't even a lie. She was wearing a black lace dress, which showed much. But Bella did have a beautiful body, so it was looking good on her. Her hair was like always loose in curls, and her lips were red which matched her dark eye makeup. "I'm not lying, for real. You're pretty." She rolled with her eyes.

Bella walked away, and I followed her. Everywhere I looked, couples were dancing traditionally. We didn't look as if we were murders, we looked like respectable royals, pure-bloods. Bella leads me to Rodolphus, Rabastan and Lucius. I looked around, but the Dark Lord wasn't here yet. Maybe he wouldn't come. "Cissy, Merlin you never listen or something?" Bella said. I looked up. "I'm sorry." Lucius smiled and said: "I asked if you want something to drink." He was holding wine glasses in his hands. It looked exactly like blood. I nodded. "Thank you." "Everyone looks amazing, but I have to say: no one looks better than me." Rodolphus joked. "I assume that you're blind because the most beautiful person here is Cissa." Lucius said. I couldn't help and smirked. Everyone looked at me now. I blushed. Rabastan whistled, and with that everyone laughed, except for Bella.

"Okay, that's mean towards Cissa. We have to stop." But they couldn't stop laughing. I wanted to go, but Lucius stopped me. "I'm sorry, honey. Shall we dance?" I nodded. He took me by the hand and we walked to the dance floor. He placed his hand on my hip and took my hand with his other hand. I put my hand on his shoulder and like that, we circled and danced to the music. For a moment it was just the two of us. I looked him in his eyes. Lucius smiled and took my hand to his lip. We were waltzing with the other people. It was twilight in this room, but that created a fairytale atmosphere.

Then I heard someone screaming. In one second it turned into chaos. I didn't know what was happening. Lucius pulled me closer to him. " What's happening?" I looked up at him. "I don't know." We walked to the place where the scream came from. Everyone stood there in a circle. Lucius was still holding me. There was a person in the circle. I saw that it was a man. He was abused. A muggle or mud blood. Blood was dripping from his body. One of his eyes was closed. He was cursed, abused, beaten and worse. The Death Eaters punched, spat and kicked him.

"Who is he, and how did he get in here?" I asked. "Yeah, she's right." "Who cares, he needs to be dead." "We oblivate him." Everyone was talking at the same time. "Dear friends, you probably ask why this muggle is here with us." The Lord was on top of the stairs. "He dared to talk rubbish to me, to insult me. But he made the biggest mistake of his life. I permit you to do anything with him." The well-educated purebloods became beasts. They wounded the man. I got nauseous. Lucius didn't participate, he still holds me, but Bella did. And then the man fell, and blood spread. It reached my heels. I stayed, didn't move. Then the serpent of the Lord came. I pressed my face into Lucius' chest.