Chapter 1

Maddie's POV
"Hey this is Jason, I'm not able to pick up the phone right now. Don't leave a voicemail 'cause I won't listen to it.'' I groan and hang up. This is the third time he won't answer me. What is he doing anyway?We were supposed to hang out this afternoon but my boyfriend decided to ditch me. I text him that I'll be at the mall in case he cares to come. My phone rings and I excitedly look at it. "Mom" flashes around my screen. Oh. I pick up my phone. "Hey mom, what's up?" I ask her. "Hey sweetie, you're dad and I are a little later this afternoon. We're stuck in a case. Do you think you can go home by yourself?" Mom explains. I roll my eyes. "Sure mom, I'm not 5 anymore." I say to her. "True, but you are fourteen. So you're still a kid by law you know." She tells me. "Whatever, I can get home by myself. What time will you be there?" I ask. "I don't know yet baby, I'll call you when I know more. Love you nugget." Mom says. "Love you, bye." I hang up and look around to find a bus to the mall.

I arrived at the mall pretty quickly and I instantly walk into forever 21. It's my most favourite shop ever, so I can't skip that! I try on an T-shirt which I think is amazing, and it is only 5 dollars! After I paid I decide to go the NIKE store. I need new socks for soccer anyway. I pull out my phone to check if Jason called or texted, but surprise he didn't.. I'm staring at some socks when I hear a familiar voice. "Come on babe, you look gorgeous in those. Buy them." A boy says. "Are you sure, is it not too short?" A girl says. I put the socks back and sneak around a corner to see a boy and a girl talking to eachother. "Not at all, come here you." The boy pulls the girl towards him and kisses her. I feel like I'm about to throw up badly. What the actual ...."Jason?" I say. He turns around and looks confused. "Maddie! This isn't what you think it is." Jason calls out. "It's done." Is the only thing I can say and I run out of the store. "MADDIE!" I hear behind me but I keep running until I'm home. Then the tears come and they won't stop. My phone buzzes and I look at it. It's Jason calling and texting me. I block him and then see a call incoming from dad. Oh no. If I don't pick up they will think something is wrong. Okay keep your voice calm. "Hi dad!" I say as happy as I can. "Hey baby, mom and I can't make it for dinner. This case is bigger than we thought. Should I call Will to see if you can eat there? Or do you want to order something?" He tells me. "Oh that's fine, I order pizza or something else" I say. "Allright, are you okay? You sound off." I hear the worry in his voice. Damn it, why can't I keep anything from my parents. I sniff. "No, I'm good. Just a bit tired I guess. But I'm gonna watch a movie. Bye dad be safe!" I say and I hear his goodbyes when I hang up. I burst out in tears and rush to my room to lay on my bed and cry..

A few hours later I hear my parents coming home. "Maddie! We're home and we brought donuts from your favourite place!" My dad yells. "Maddie?" Mom says and I hear her coming up the stairs. She is definitely going to notice that I've cried for hours. A little knock on my door before it opens. "Honey? We are ba— oh baby what happened?" She looks worried when she comes in and sees my red puffy eyes. "It's Jason" I say and I burst out in tears again. Mom rushes to me and hugs me tight. "Oh honey" She says and kisses my forehead. "What is going on here?" Dad comes to us and kneels down. "He. I found him with someone else. He cheated dad, I don't know what to do now." I cry. My dad's eyes transfer from worry to anger. Then he calms down and hugs me tight. "You know, Jason is the biggest idiot on this planet. That he would cheat on you with another girl that is very low. But you know what. You will find someone who will appreciate you and take care of you. I promise." He says. I nod. "Well, let's eat those donuts now and watch a movie?" Mom questions. We all agree and get downstairs. I go sit between my parents and we pick Jumanji to watch.

Jay's POV
I can't believe it. My babygirl is going through her first break-up with someone who cheated on her. I look at Maddie who snuggled into my side and is sleeping. Then I look at my wife who watches the movie. She notices I'm looking at her. "What?" She smirks. "I knew something was going on, if I would have gone home I would be there for her and make her feel better." I say. "Jay don't do this. It is not your fault. Jason cheated on her and she found out about it. That is not something light to take for a fourteen year old. To her it's like her life just ended and what she needs is her dad to show her that there are real men in this world who stay true to their girlfriends or wifes." Hailey tells me. "You're telling me you're not mad at that kid? That you don't want to tell him what kind of asshole he is?" I say angrily. "Hey, I'm just as pissed as you are but Maddie needs us now. Calm down Jay." She says. I nod and give her a kiss and look back at my daughter who is thrembling from a cold I guess. "I'm getting her to her bed" I say to Hailey. I pick her up and carry her to her room. I put her down and cover her with her blankets. "Dad?" She mumbles. "What is it honey?" "Can you stay with me?" She mumbles again. I smile slightly. "Ofcourse baby, come here." I say and I go sit next to her and let her head rest on my chest. I look at my daughter and really hope for Jason that I won't see him anytime soon. I lay my arms around Maddie and close my eyes.