Chapter 12

Jay's POV
Me and Hailey get to the kitchen to get some drinks. "Now what's going on? You are off all day, and we both know that writing a report isn't a 4 hour job. What have you been doing all that time?" I ask her. "Nothing, it's fine. Just tired that's all." She says and turns around to grab a soda. "Hailey, talk to me I'm your husband." I say. "Fine, I got a text which said 'Found you' with a photo of me outside the hospital, I didn't think anything of it until I just left the station and got another text saying 'Found you' and a picture of me at my car. I asked what he or she wanted and I got a text back saying 'you'll see.' I couldn't find anything in the system, but I know it's a burner phone who sent it." Hailey looks at me. "What? Any idea who that could be?" I ask. "If I knew I would have told you, but no." She responds. "Maybe we should talk to Voight? See what he has to say." I suggest. "No way, we're not getting the team involved in this. We don't even know what we're dealing with, I just want everything to stay norm- What's up Mads?" Hailey looks at the door opening. "Nothing, I am going to bed." Maddie says. "Good call sweetie, big day tomorrow huh." I smile and give her a kiss. She nods and walks over to Hailey who gives her a kiss too. "Goodnight." She says and she takes off. "We're not telling the team Jay, I don't want to spread panic about something which is probably nothing." Hailey says. "Nothing? Someone is texting you and taking pictures of you. That is not nothing." I say. "I know but I don't want everyone to be worried or something. I want to sort this out first." Hailey defends herself. "Okay, but if you get another text or photo then I want to know okay?" I say. "Yeah, of course." She says. We grab out drinks and move ourselves to the couch.

The next day

I get down and see Maddie already making breakfast. "You're up early? It is only 6.30 am." I say. "I know but I can't sleep anymore. I just really really want to win this today's game dad. If we do, we would be the first girls soccer team to do it in 18 years." She sighs and grabs a plate to put her toast on. "Sweetie, don't put so much pressure on yourself. You are going to rock this game, I know you will." I say. "Do you really think so?" Maddie looks at me. "Of course, why wouldn't you?" I frown. She thinks for a second but then shakes her head. "Never mind." She says and tries to walk out. I grab her arm. "No, not happening. You stay here and tell me what is going on. Sit." I instruct her. She sits down next to me and takes a deep breath. "Dr. Charles said that I should tell you more about my feelings and what is going on. But it feels kinda weird actually. But I have to. You know, since that accident I feel scared that it happens again. That people get hurt. That anything happens with you or with mom. I don't want that dad." Maddie says and gets tears in her eyes. I pull her towards me in a tight hug and let her sob in my chest. "It's okay baby, let it all out." I say and kiss her forehead. "I'm just being stupid." Maddie says. "No, you're not. You have been through something traumatic and it is completely normal to feel scared after something like that. Do you think I'm not always thinking about you or your mom every time we go into something dangerous? It is normal to have those feelings. If you wouldn't have them then something must be wrong." I say. Maddie nods her head and sits back up. "Is this what Dr. Charles wanted you to do after these sessions?" I ask. "Yes, he wanted me to express my feelings towards you and tell you what was on my mind." Maddie confirms. "Well you just did that. I'm proud of you kiddo." I smile softly and wipe her tears off. "Thanks dad. I love you." Maddie says. "Love you too Mads, big time." I answer. "How are the both of you up this early? Something wrong?" Hailey comes down and looks confused. "No, everything is fine mom." Maddie says and gives her a kiss. "Oh okay." Hailey says and looks at me. I put up my shoulders and make me and Hailey some breakfast.

"Do you have everything?" Hailey questions Maddie. "Yeah ofcourse, I packed my bag yesterday already." She answers. "I should have known that. Ready to go then?" Hailey continues. "Yess!" Maddie jumps up and rushes towards the car. Hailey and I follow her outside. When we arrive at school we see the opponents arriving. "There you are, we were waiting foreeever." Adam smiles and comes up to us. "Uncle Ruz! You came!" Maddie calls out and gives him a hug. "Yeah I promised you right? Kim couldn't wait to see you play so I brought her as well." Adam says. "That's so fun! Thank you for coming." Hailey says and we walk towards the tribunes. "Good luck Mads, you can do it!" I say and watch her going into the locker rooms with her teammates. We talk a bit about our case when the teams enter the field. Maddie spots us and waves excitedly. "Go for it baby!" Hailey yells and cheers. The opponents are playing pretty rough as they push our team to the ground constantly. A little commotion starts as Maddies teammate gets pushed to the ground. "Hey! Let her go!" I hear Maddie yell trying to help her teammate. The girl gets up and want to push Maddie but she gets pulled off by her coach. "Naya get to the bench now." The coach says and she takes her with her. "Well that's it for fair play right?" Kim says. "It is unbelievable, they are young girls why would they play that aggressive?" I think out loud. "Maybe they are pissed that our team is better and they can't score." Hailey says. "Yeah probably." I admit and we continue to watch the game. Eventually the game ends and we are cheering loud for the team. When I look next to me I see Hailey not celebrating with us. "What is it?" I put my hand on her shoulder. "This." She says and shows me her phone. It is a text saying Found you and a picture of Hailey watching the game. "We need to tell Voight." I look at her. "Not now." She says and points at Maddie who rushes towards us. "WE DID IT, WE'RE GOING TO THE NEXT ROUND!!" She yells and gives us all a hug. "You were amazing Maddie!" Adam says and Maddie smiles. "Thanks! That other team wasn't the nicest though." She says. "Yeah they were pretty rough playing, not very friendly huh. But you helped your friend, that was amazing." I say and give her a kiss. "Thanks dad." Maddie says. "Now go on shower stinky nugget, we'll wait at the car for you." Hailey says and Maddie disappears again. We grab our stuff and walk downstairs. "Thanks for coming guys, we and Maddie really appreciate it." I say. "Always, I promised her I would be here and it is always nice to see her play. Let us know when the next game is okay?" Adam says. "Will do." I smile and we get to our cars.