Maybe I do. | Adler x Reader Pt 1

"Fuck! FUCK!" Adler screamed.
It was spiraling.
Down.
In circles.
Right above the pacific ocean.
Nice..
I took a deep breath in and out.
My head filled with questions, thoughts, memories, everything.
"We might die." I looked at him.
"I-I know that, (Y/N)." He choked back on his words.
"You know, maybe I do.." Firmly, I grasped his hand with mine.
"You do?" His face lit up.
"Yeah I,..- I think so.."
Our lips touched lightly, pressing one last kiss on each other.
Our first and probably last.

Crash.
My vision blurred, going dark.

BEEP. BEEP. BEEP.
I groaned, slapping my hand at the top of my alarm clock. My body shifted to the side, barely even getting my eyes to peel open.
The red numbers on my alarm clock read 5:30 A.M.
I sighed. Today was the day that Adler and I would go on a mission.
We had a briefing yesterday, it was all planned so fast. Perseus didn't tick us off, one of his close operatives that we believe to be working with him did.
Stitch. With a horrible threat.
Not only did we recover from that Nova 6 threat and rescue Adler, which I wouldn't have minded leaving him there, but we fucked him up pretty damn good.
And somehow Perseus was able to find and rescue him and his team, giving them another chance.
It's been years and this Perseus shit still isn't done. It's only gotten worse. My legs whipped out from under my blankets, letting them fall onto the floor.
I already had an outfit picked out.
Some dark camo cargo pants, a camo turtleneck, and some dark combat boots. I put up my hair in a low ponytail, and we would be situated with our armor and such when we landed at the threat. If only I was assigned with Park on chopper duty, or if I would have been with Woods who was on watch. Or even literally anyone else. Fuck Adler, honestly.
I finished putting my pants on, wrapping a belt around my waist. I yawned, grabbing the rest of my stuff and walked out the door. Of course, the first person I met face to face was Adler. Smoking a cigarette at his desk.
"Morning." He said without looking at me.
I ignored him, walking in the opposite direction. I borrowed Sims' desk for a minute, packing some stuff in a bag. An extra pistol, unloaded of course, with the ammo clips in a different pocket. 2 bottles of water, a few gronola bars, and some other things. I picked up the locket around my neck that my mother gave me. I sighed deeply. My mother passed away from the same thing I'm doing. If I die today, at least it'll be in the same way. I've been with the CIA for years now, in honor of my mother. I miss her deeply every day. She was my best friend, my inspiration, hero and much more. Her death let me fall into a deep depression. A tear slipped from my eye as I sniffled, wiping it away. I opened the locket and smiled. A picture of me and my family. My mother was so beautiful, I'm a spitting image of her. I regained my strength, I can't be weak today.
'I have to do this for you, mom.'
I thought to myself.
'Okay..' Closing my eyes, I took a deep breath in and out, turning to face Adler.
"I'm ready." For one day, I just had to deal with him.
Until I die today, or until we get pushed away from the same mission again.
We worked for different groups, I haven't seen Adler since our last grouped mission a few months ago, with Stitch, when we had to save him and beat the everloving shit out of Stitch. I barely even saw Adler, but he looked fucked.
But here we were, in the old safehouse, with the old team back together.
He turned his head slightly to look at me, those damned sunglasses blocking his eyes again.
"Lets go everybody. Round it up, pack your shit and head outside to the car."
Everyone looked at Adler, then packed their stuff together.
■■■■ Time skip. ■■■■
I leaned against the wall, smoking a cigarette.
"First one out, huh?"
Faintly, someone spoke to me over my walkman that was blasting "Runnin' with the Devil" by Van Halen. I slipped my headphones off of my ears, opening my eyes to turn around and look at Adler, pulling a pack of cigarettes out of his pocket.
Ugh. Worst person to be looking at right now.
"What's it to ya?" I scoffed.
"Nothing. Was just wondering why you're so bitchy all of the time."
Sick bastard.
"Fuck you." I snapped at him. Putting my headphones back over my ears, I walked to the other side of the grass, near the car. Looking out at the sunrise. It was beautiful, made up of creamy orange, a nice and tangy purple, and a beautiful pink. There were some hints of red and yellow, and some leftover blue from the darkness that shadowed overhead last night.
I sighed, as the 3rd song as my mixtape played through.
My head was killing me.
"Stairway to Heaven" by Led Zeppelin came on.
My mothers favorite song. My hand clutched onto my locket as I smiled sadly. My memories of her came rushing back, almost too fast as I took a tumble back, landing on Woods. Luckily for me, he was paying attention. I was not. He caught me in his arms before I fell to the floor.
"Little clumsy there, aren't we (Y/N)?" He smirked.
"Oh um.. Thanks.." I rubbed the back of my neck, smiling awkwardly.
Woods was sweet, always there for me. Unlike some people on this team.. I don't get it. Aren't teams supposed to have each others backs..? Why does he hate me so much? Whatever! Forget it.. It doesn't matter anyways.
I threw my bag in the trunk and hopped into the passenger seat. To my surprise, Woods was not driving the truck like I was told. Adler was. He couldn't have gone in a different one? Ugh! Woods and Mason were behind us. I guess it only made sense since Adler and I were put on together and Woods and Mason were supposed to be escorted by a team to their destination. And that destination just so happens to be where we're going to be.. Cause they're watching.. Great...
I sighed as I put my walkman at a louder volume, fighting back the memories and tears. 'No, I have to be strong for her..' I turned my back to Adler and looked out the window as he started the car. Thoughts raced through my head.
'What if I die?'
'I promised her I wouldn't die. Not today, I wouldn't fail her.'
I scrunched my eyes closed as another one of my songs played through my walkman.
"We Built This City" by Starship came through my ears as I slowly opened my eyes, sadly staring at my reflection through the window. My mother and I shared a connection with this song.
I remember us dancing to this in the living room right before her deployment. The last memory I shared with her before her passing. I was much younger, and impulsively decided to follow my mothers work in the CIA to live out her legacy. I didn't want to do this. No, not at all. I wanted to be a pilot, or drive boats through the ocean for fun. Perhaps go into the medical field or even be a popstar. But I couldn't, I had to do this for her. I made a promise to myself for her, and here I am today. I allowed myself to shed a few tears as I held onto my locket.
"Knee deep in the hoopla, sinking in your fight
Too many runaways eating up the night.."
My hand clenched onto my locket harder as I hid my tearshed face from the rest of the people surrounding me out of fear.
I sniffled as my other hand moved to wipe my tears from my face, hoping they wouldn't notice. As I was full on crying at this point, just staring at the picture of my mother, father and I that was laminated onto my walkman. I was sure at this point they had realized but didn't say much. Sure, I wanted to be strong and courageous and even motivated for her, but once in a while I could cry for myself to mourn her, and cry for her.
For all the things she missed and never got to try. A hand patted my shoulder and rubbed it in reassurance, yet I didn't budge. I didn't look up from my walkman.
Some time passed and we got to our destination. I wiped my face and fixed myself up before facing the windshield again. My door swung open as I cleared my throat, closing up my locket. Woods and Mason stood in front of me and I smiled weakily, taking my headphones off. "What's up, guys?" Mason patted Woods' shoulder and gave me an apologetic look before quietly walking off. I moved around a bit and stretched my legs as Woods watched me. "Listen.. (Y/N) I-.. I know it's hard, but it's gonna be okay." I turned to him with wide eyes, not expecting him to say that. His arms gently stood out in front of him, with nothing stopping us, I quickly tossed myself into his arms crying harder than I have in days. Stumbling and choking on my words, I barely managed to have a conversation with Woods. He understood everything, both my mumbled words and my situation. He even let me rant, but soon it was time for us to leave. Adler and I stepped back into the car after Mason gave me a few words of reassurance and such. I was about to put my walkman on as I noticed Adler looking at me through the corner of his eye. Then the windshield, back and forth. Every few seconds. I wanted to ask what he wanted but something in me told me not to. Maybe it was the hatred deep down inside of me telling me not to communicate with this bastard. He took a deep breath and sighed right as I decided to attempt to wear my walkman for the second time. "..." Silence..
"Are you okay?" He stared at the road, his hands gripping on the steering wheel. His jaw locked shut as the downpour started again. I could feel myself practically having a panic attack right then and there. Adler had finally turned to look at me. The car came to a stop and I noticed we were on the side of the road. I wanted him to keep going, as we had a mission we had to get to and had no extra time to stop, but I couldn't. I couldn't say it, I couldn't get the words out. I struggled so hard. "P-Plea-s..e.." Heavy and constricted breaths raged through my body as I gasped for air. My whole world was dark, I could feel my pulse in every part of my body, gripping onto the door handle and the center console. I had realized Adler got out of the car and was on my side, with the door open, tightly embracing me.
I hate him.
I hate.. him..
I... ha-...
I don't..
I don't-... hate him.
I don't hate him anymore..
The sympathy raced through my skin into my head just by the touch of his body against mine.
The smell of cigarettes, mint and cologne pierced my nose, in a good way. I could feel his hand on top of mine, rubbing the top of it as the other held the back of my head. He shifted me to have my legs on the side of the car hanging out of the door ad he continued to hug me in this position.
"Listen, (Y/N), I don't know what's wrong or what your situation is but I promise you it'll be okay. At least soon, recovery takes time. Healing is a process, but it happens."
He expected no response, just letting me calm down from my high.
Not a good high.
Like a bad orgasm or a horrible drug that makes you trip bad.
My father and I were usually the ones to hold each other like this and help each other in our times. But he wasn't here, and I had to face that. I had to deal with it alone. If only I had asked for help..
"I don't know what's going on but if you tell me I'll help. I saw Woods and Mason hugging you while you cried. I also noticed you crying in the car."
So that was him touching my shoulder, wasn't it?
"W-Why are you he-lp..ing m-me.." I said between shaky breaths.
He let go of the back of my head and pulled away to look at me, but still hugging me.
"We're partners, aren't we? I can't have my mission partner in any condition like this. Especially when our mission is in a good hour or so." He joked while looking at his watch. That truly was just the Adler way of saying he did actually care.
"Do-n't y-you hate..- me?" I scanned his upper body slowly as he looked at me with confused eyes.
"What? No. Where did you get that idea from?"
"I don't know I just kinda always thought..-"
"No, what? No, (Y/N), I don't hate you. You always hated me. I'm not that much of a douchebag, I promise, and if that's why you hate me, then why? Half of those rumors and 'stories'.." He did a finger motion to stories.
"Aren't even true." He continued.
"Those are just fucked up things people made up about me that were demoted, fired or anything else that they hated and blamed me for, just because of their own actions. Or it was my friends being assholes and making up shit about me some times and telling the newbies, then the newbies would spread stuff and so on and so forth. And some people just interpreted stuff I did or said wrong, or something someone else said about me." He sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose and scrunching his eyes. He let go and reopened his eyes to look at me. "I actually quite like you, I prefer you. You are one of our best employees in the line of work we do, since the mid 60's. You amount to more than you give yourself credit for." He chuckled lightly. I smiled. "Ah, see? I got a smile out of you. There's the (Y/N) I know." I giggled as he said that. "I-I'm sorry for the way I've treated you since I got here. I didn't let you give me your own introduction and I'm sorry for that. For all of it.." I sighed. "That's okay, thank you for saying that. And we can talk about this more later, for right now, let's go." He pulled out of the hug and closed my door. I buckled up as he hopped back into the car, starting it up and taking off.
We spent the rest of the car ride getting to know each other better and stuff like that. I told him my situation, he was sympathetic and related to me in many ways. We had a nice long chat through the car ride. When we finally made it to our destination, we had a long hug and I made sure to thank him plenty of times. I've known Adler for years, and deep down.. He's never been rude to me. He's always been super sweet and I've been the asshole. I like him, a lot. I wouldn't mind it if he gave me a kiss instead of a hug. But alas, I don't think he has the same feelings. He just thinks I'm a good person for my position and a hard worker. A good fit, is all.
°°°° Time skip cause this is a fluff not a detailed story where battle is included >:( °°°°
After our positions were settled, Woods and Mason had given us the clear multiple times and watched until we were ambushed. Stitch had bombarded us with a team at the mountain we had stationed at. He knew we were there. How? I don't know. There were no signs of a mole. Just predictable actions, I guess. And once again, we beat his ass. Our misson wasn't fully carried out, but we got what we needed, secured our shit, and got the fuck out. Park and Sims had picked up Mason and Woods in their chopper. Another two men picked up Adler and I, as it was a much larger chopper and we could hold a lot more on there. We captured Stitch, and got a lot of shit, including some good intel. We quickly packed evetything up and left the evidence behind as a warning, not to fuck with us. And we also left before more men and women were sent to come get us. Stitch had been knocked out and his hands and feet were tied. He was tied up to a set of handle bars. Adler and I high fived after strapping into our seats and securing everything in a tied up bag hooked above and between the seats. I took a sigh of relief. Almost the same mission my mother took, and lost her life to. I took a shaky breath out as a sympathetic Adler held my hand tightly. "It'll be okay." He whispered.
I smiled sadly to him. "Thank you.." I whispered back. Stitch had woken up and was watching all of it while attempting to break out of the ropes. Adler and I didn't worry about him until he was able to cut out of the ropes with a knife he had on his body.
Fuck. We didn't check for that.
"No!" Adler yelled as he unstrapped himself, trying to grab Stitch as he fell from the chopper. I grabbed Adlers arm and pulled him back into the chopper before he went down with Stitch.
"Fuck! And I had finally got him.."
He sighed.
"I'm sorry, it's my fault.. I knocked him out and didn't check nor think about items he could've had like that.." I played with my fingers.
"It's okay, (Y/N), it's not your fault. We always have next time." Stitch had landed in the water and was rescued by a boat. More followed as shots were sprayed at our chopper. We took cover as our pilots attempted to dodge the bullets and steer away from the line of fire until an RPG made slight impact with our bird.
"Shit!" One pilot screamed.
"Mayday! Mayday!" The other said over the comms.
"Fuck! FUCK!" Adler screamed.
He held onto me tightly, hugging me on the floor as he strapped us both onto the handles with the rope that Stitch was attatched to and the rope he was held by.
It was spiraling. The chopper was dead.
Down. Down right into the ocean.
In circles. Slowly but surely.
The inside blinked red.
Right above the pacific ocean.
Nice..
Maybe I would end up just like my mother.
I took a deep breath in and out.
My head filled with questions, thoughts, memories, everything.
"We might die." I looked at him.
"I-I know that, (Y/N)." He choked back on his words.
"You know, maybe I like you.." Firmly, I grasped his hand with mine.
"You do?" His face lit up.
"Yeah I,..- I think so.."
Our lips touched lightly, pressing one last kiss on each other.
Our first and probably last.
At least I was dying with someone I care about, in the way my mother died. To honor her.
This is the only way I'd accept going out.
Crash.
The last thing in my sight was Adler pulling away from our kiss, leaning his forehead against mine.
My vission blurred, going dark.

....
.......
..........
My head was pounding, my ears were ringing. I opened my eyes to see Adler laying on a bed next to me, unconscious, yet, still holding my hand. Around us, I heard many voices. Concerned ones, calm ones, angry ones.
"Well, will the be okay?!" One person yelled. They sounded scared.
"Ma'am please calm down!" Somebody else replied, seeming overwhelmed.
"Oh, my sweet baby.." A hand caressed my face, sobbing beside me.
"Dad..?" My other hand reached onto his as I weakly turned my head to look at him.
"Oh! (Y/N)..!" He gasped. He quickly hugged me tightly. I winced in pain.
"I'm sorry! I'm just happy you're alive.." He smiled through his tears.
"So am I. I'm sorry dad, I didn't expect for that to happen."
"I don't care, all that matters is that you're here right now, safe and okay."
I smiled back.
"Yeah.."
Suddenly, the rest of the team showed up at my bed, blocking my view of Adler.
Our hands still intertwined.
We spent a lot of time talking, and a lot of time in silence. A groan could be heard from Adlers bed. Everybody turned around and had suddenly felt relief. As if weight was lifted off of their shoulders.. We were both okay.
"Where are we? My head hurts." Adler groaned.
"You're at the hospital." Woods said quietly.
"Hospital..? I thought we were going to die."
"Die? Far from it. You guys were above the pacific ocean, and lucky because of that too, if you weren't yeah, you'd be dead." Sims shrugged.
"You guys landed in the ocean. We saw the fire on your guys' chopper going down in circles after being hit. We tried to reach you guys to no avail, so we airlifted you two and the brave pilots out of the helictoper, and were able to get all 4 of you here in time." Mason added.
"Thank you so much for saving my baby, (Y/N)." My father cried out while shaking the hands of my team members.
"It was no problem, really. We wouldn't want to lose her either." Park hugged my dad.
I smiled looking at Adler.
"So, that wasn't the first and last time, was it?"
"Nope. Just you wait until we're alone." He whisper teased into my ear so nobody could hear.
"I can't wait." I giggled.
-- A/N
request by Mellemye
hope you enjoy !!! this is only pt 1, pt 2 and more if I wanna add more should be out soon.
your other request is on the way and my long awaited richtofen chapter is almost done.
as always, love y'all.
stay frosty !!! :)