Chapter 1

Calix

"Mom where are we going?" my seven-year-old self asked my mom as we sat down in the carriage. The Royal guards sat on the backs of the horses in full armor surrounding us.

    "We're going to see one of my closest friends my dear," she says softly with a smile. 
   "But I don't want to go" I whined and pouted. I wanted to go play in the gardens.

   "Come on sweetheart would you rather be at the palace watching your father train the others?," she asked
     "And you won't be alone. My friend has a daughter a bit younger than you. The two of you will be great friends. I even heard she's pretty" my mom said with a mischievous nudge at my arms followed by a wink at the end. I shyly look away from her trying to side my smile.

       It took us a while to reach the village. Everyone stared at us , some with happiness while some had no expressions at all.

     I peeped out of the carriage as it passed the small houses and moved further down in the village. Children around my age ran at the corner with their friends down the routes, laughing with each other.

     Sometimes I wished I wasn't born as a prince and was born like those children. Sometimes I would get so angry and jealous at the fact everyone gets to live a normal life except me.

      I have to be isolated at home with no friends and no one to talk to except my mother. I don't like my father. He always wants me to train so I can be a good king like him one day. I don't want to be a king, I want to live life and to have fun like everyone else.

     Whenever I wanted to be alone I would always visit the garden behind the palace. That's the only safe place I have. Mother would always ask father for his permission for me to leave the place to go play with other kids but it always ends with him shouting and refusing to let me go.

    "We're here honey," my mom said, snapping me out of my thoughts. She quickly stood up and exited the carriage and waited for me to do the same.

    When exiting the carriage I noticed we stopped in front of a small brick house. Some of the bricks were broken off and cracked yet it was beautiful.
      The royal guards walked ahead of us while the others were behind us. My mother made her way with me towards the door before knocking.

     A woman around her age opens the door with a bright smile before greeting her with a hug.

     "Eileen, how are you?" the woman asked as she broke away from the hug.
   "How are you?" my mom asked with a smile.
   "I have been doing well," the woman replied before looking at me, causing her smile to widen.

    "Calix, you have grown so tall, how are you, my child," she said as she reached forward to hug me.
    I awkwardly hugged her not knowing what else to do.
   "Sorry I forgot you might not recognize me since it's been years since I first saw you." She laughs
    "I'm Aria," she said smiling.
   "I'm doing well ma'am," I said, returning a smile.

    "Come in why are you both still standing outside" she frowned while ushering us inside of her home.
     There wasn't much in her home but it still had a happy feeling to it.
     There were a few wooden chairs in what I assumed was the living room. Right beside that was a small kitchen and a small hall.

    "What would you like to drink," she asked us as she made her way towards the kitchen.

  "Water please," my mother said as she took a seat on one of the chairs. I quickly sat beside her waiting for the woman to come back.

     "Are you ok dear?" My mother asked as she turned to look at me. I nodded my head to assure her I was ok. Even though I felt a little uncomfortable I didn't want my mother to worry about me. It's the first time she had been out of the place in a long while. It made me happy to see her happy.

     The woman came back with two glasses of water and a plate filled with cookies. I reached out and grabbed my glass of water and thanked her before taking a sip as i looked around for the girl with whom I was hoping to be friends. Would she want to befriend me?

       Just as she was about to place herself on one of the chairs she yelled towards the room next to the kitchen for someone.

    "ADARA WE HAVE GUESTS COME SAY HI!" she shouts
   A couple of seconds later a shy little girl made her way out of the room and into the living room where we were.
     She had long black hair and was wearing a pleated pale blue dress. Her eyes were the shade of the hot chocolate mother would make during winter. Tiny freckles spread across her nose compliment her face.

     She looks towards my mother with a shy smile. My mother called her closer to us which gave me the chance to look at her close-up.

      "What's your name?" My mother asks softly

   "Adara," she said quietly as she played with her fingers nervously . Her name is as beautiful as she is.
   "My name is Eileen and this is my son his name is calix"
   Her eyes trailed to me before looking away shyly.

     "Why don't you two go have some fun? Didn't you say you wanna go play by the river with the other kids? The two of you may go." her mother said to her with a smile.

    My mother looked at me debating whether or not to let me go. I give her my best puppy eyes hoping she won't see through my cuteness. She smiled at me and nodded, assuring me it was ok for me to go.

     I quickly got off my chair and stood next to the little girl with a smile. She looked up at me before making her way towards the door.

     I stopped next to the door before turning back to look at my mother.
    " Mother please, no bodyguards," I said hoping she wouldn't send any with me.

    She instantly shakes her head.
  "You must always have a bodyguard calix you know how your father gets," she says frowning

  " Father isn't here please mother" I begged
    She sighs before saying yes.
"Please be back early, we need to leave before dawn," she shouted since I had already rushed out the door with a smile.

   Adara was already waiting outside for me. She had stoop down with a small stick drawing on the ground waiting for me.

        "I'm ready," I said standing next to her. She looks up with a shy smile before standing up and beginning to walk towards the river.

******

    The first chapter tells me how it was. The first couple chapters would be of them during childhood.

      Vote and comment for more chapters😊