Chapter 2

We were walking down the dirt road on our way to the river neither of us knowing what else to say.

       "Do you not want to talk to me?" I asked quietly frowning
     She looks up at me frowning at what I just asked.
    She looks down at her feet before speaking

   "I'm sorry," she mumbles quietly embarrassed 
    A wave of relief washed over me knowing she didn't dislike me already.
    "I'm sorry I thought you didn't want to talk to me because you didn't like me" I muttered before looking ahead avoiding my eyes from her before I brought it back to hers.

       She looked at me confused but then a smile appeared on her face.
    "Why are you smiling at me?" I asked, scratching the side of my head nervously.

     "You're cute" she giggles at me. I could feel the heat rushing to my face as I looked away trying to hide it.

         "How far is the river?" I asked changing the subject
    "We're almost there," she said in her cute little voice. I wonder how old she is. She looks like she's one or two years younger than me.

    "How old are you?" I asked as we continued to walk
   "I'm five," she says
"I'm seven" I replied and she smiled.

     We finally reached the river. We were the only ones there. It was truly a beautiful sight to see. All the trees, the birds chirping, the cold wind hitting against your skin.

    Adara rushed off towards a big tree near the river. The tree was big enough to shade both of us and a couple more people.

      I made my way towards her and sat next to her under the tree.
   "It must be nice to do this every day," I said to her as I looked at the water flowing

      "It is" she replied smiling

  "I'll call you Dara from now on cause it's cute and your cute," I said causing her to blush and avoiding my gaze

    "What is it like being in the palace?" she asked excitedly as she turned to look at me.

     "Lonely" I whispered not looking her in her eyes

     She frowns at my answer.
"Why?" She asked quietly

    "Because I have no one to talk to or to have fun with. It's just me." I said sighing

   "What about your friends?"

   "I don't have any friends," I said quietly
   She pouts at my response before looking at me with a bright smile

    "What?" I asked

     " I can be your friend" She says excitedly with a smile

     "You want to be my friend," I asked her not knowing if this is real or not.

    She nods her head excitedly. A smile crept onto my face. I finally got a friend. An actual friend this time, not an imaginary one.

     Suddenly we were interrupted by loud laughter. The children whom I had seen earlier running were making their way towards us.

     As soon as Dara sees them her whole face brightens up. She quickly stood up from under the tree and ran towards them leaving me there alone.

     I thought she was going to play with them so I turned my gaze away from her and looked at the river.

        I heard the noise getting closer so I turned my gaze to where they once were. They were coming this way.
     This time an older boy was with them. I didn't see him running kids from earlier. He looks like he's the same age as me. He gave Dara a hug and then his eyes shifted to me. His smile dropped instantly. 

     "What is the royal highness doing here? Shouldn't you be at the place playing with other rich royal children," he said glaring at me

I ignored his comment and continued to look at the river.
     "What are you doing here with her?" He asked with a scowl

   "Damien be nice he is my friend" Dara scolded him
     I sat there not saying anything to them.

     "He is not your friend Adara. He is selfish and rude just like his father" Damien said, looking at me in disgust.
   What was I thinking about coming out here? 
 I stood up  to leave before a small hand wrapped around mine.

     "He is my friend and he is not rude or selfish," Dara shouted at them. I stood there shocked, staring at the shy girl I had just met a few hours ago.
    Dara pulled me back to sit under the tree with her. A small smile made its way to my face.

     Damien looked like he was about to explode.
     His eyes held anger and disgust. He looks at us one last time before turning away and leaving the river.
     "He's mean, ignore him," she said with a smile.
    I nodded and we began playing a few games.

     It had been hours since we were out by the river. I had forgotten what mother said about reaching back before dawn.
     We continue to chase each other around the tree laughing and having fun. I haven't felt like this in forever. It was the best feeling I had ever felt.

     She continued to laugh as I finally caught up to her and started to tickle her at her sides. Her laugh was so cute.
     I instantly stopped when I heard someone shout my name.

    I looked over to see it was one of the royal guards. I wonder how did they find us. Of course they found us mother must have sent him behind me to make sure I'm safe. I quickly got up and helped Dara up as well as the guard made his way over.

     "Her Majesty announced it was time to leave," he said with his head bowed, not looking at me.

    "Already," Dara said with a pout.
    I didn't want to leave, I wanted to spend more time playing with her.
    "Let's go, we'll walk together," I said hoping she would smile at that and she did.

    She placed her hand on mine as we made our way back to my carriage.
     We continued to play and laugh on our way back. We had finally reached her home. My mother along with hers stood in front of the carriage talking and giggling. As soon as they saw us their smiles brightened.

     "Did you two have fun?" Dara's mom asked with a smile.

   "Yea mom lots" she beamed excitedly. I looked over to my mom to see her smiling at me.
    "Ok time to say goodbye, the prince needs to go back to the palace," she said to her

     Her happiness started to fade as soon as she heard she had to say goodbye.
   "Are you going to come back to play with me again?" she asked sadly

    A small smile made its way onto my face.
   "Of course I am, after all we are friends," I said smiling.
She starts to smile after hearing I'll visit again. I quickly gave her a small hug and made my way into the carriage.

     As the carriage began to drive off I quickly peeped out to see if she was still there.
    As soon as she saw my head peek out she started to laugh then waved me goodbye.
  I smiled at her before waving back a goodbye to her and patiently waiting for the next day to come so I can visit her once again.

********

    Vote and comment for more chapters😊