Chapter 8

Calix

     I made my way down the stairs headed towards the kitchen before heading to the stables. I was famished. I ordered the servants to bring me something to eat out by the balcony. I need to leave after dusk so I will be out of sight of everyone.

      I took a seat on one of the chairs and waited for my food to be brought. I leaned back against the chair, closed my eyes, and enjoyed the cool breeze hitting my skin. Suddenly a pair of blue eyes popped into my mind. 

Is annoying me when we're in each other's presence not enough for her that she has to get in my mind too.

  I opened my eyes at the sounds of plates clattering. I turned around to see it was the servants that brought my food. They placed the food on the table that was beside the chair before making their way to the corner of the balcony with their heads bowed.

   "You may leave," I said as I grabbed a plate and placed the different foods onto it.

    They bowed and left while I continued to stuff the food into my mouth. As I picked up a piece of chicken and was about to place it in my mouth someone decided to grace me with their presence.

    "You seem hungry," she said shrilled with a smile on her face as she made her way to take a seat opposite me.

    I looked at her irritatingly as I took a bite of my chicken. Does she not understand that I do not want to speak to her?

    "Why are you here?" I asked blankly as I continued to eat

    "You seemed like you need some company so here I am"

    " I've been living here for twenty-one years. What makes you think I need company?" 

   "I don't know you just look... Lonely" she said quietly

     "Well in case you haven't realized by now I don't need your company so stop trying to talk to me. As for the fact of me being lonely, I'm fine with it. Now if you excuse me I have somewhere to be" I said as I stood up. I grabbed a glass of water and chugged it down before placing the glass back on the table. 

    I fixed my clothes and made my way back inside leaving her there.

   It was already starting to get dark outside so I made my way to the stable to grab my horse.

    "Good evening your highness" Robby the caretaker of the stable said with his head bowed. 

   "Good evening Robby, I'm just going to take my horse out for a while," I said as I made my way towards my horse. As soon as he saw me he started to get excited.

    " Nice to see you too Kyros," I said with a chuckle.

   "Let's go for a ride shall we," I said as I made my way onto his back and galloped out of the stable. I hope no one noticed me as I passed through the village and headed to the river. There was hardly anyone outside. Everyone looked like they were eating dinner so that was good. I passed Dara's home and it looked like they were doing the same thing. I know she recognizes the sound of my horse as we pass and she would meet me by the river so I headed there first.

       As the river started to come into view I started to slow down and we slowly started to walk towards the tree. I hopped off Kyros back and brought him closer to the river to take a drink. 

After his drink I allowed him to roam about by the river as I made my way under the tree.

    I waited there a few hours before I heard Kyros started to get excited and galloped towards someone. I looked to see it was Dara. A smile made its way onto my face when I saw how happy she was to see him. She gently strokes his muzzle before placing a small kiss. Why does he get kisses and I don't?