Chapter One

"Legends say that ages ago, there was a bond created by the heavens that was so strong that all werewolves would wander to the ends of the earth to find the other halves of their souls

"Legends say that ages ago, there was a bond created by the heavens that was so strong that all werewolves would wander to the ends of the earth to find the other halves of their souls. Once connected, these were bonds that they would live and die for." I looked up from my book for a moment to make sure the class was still listening before continuing.

"These same people were ones that abused this gift, considering it a right meant for their kind rather than a privilege granted to them from above. Their entitlement led to the mistreatment of each other as well as others and eventually, carnage of their own kind and of humanity. Families were torn apart as wolves would descend on them at the darkest peak of the night and rip out the lungs from them, still pumping the blood of the dead," I glanced at my captivated audience and slammed my book on the table causing them all to jump, "blood gushing out from every crevice, organs flopping over one another as their bodies piled up, limbs tearing off from bodies from the impact."

I picked my book up again and continued calmly, "This abuse of power led to these bonds becoming myths of the past. Wolves were thought to have been driven insane by their desperate searches for the other halves of their souls they would never find, doomed to forever roam the world alone. Left to chase an idea that would forever be a whisper of a better time. The world once a blissfully united society, now left in tattered ruins, segregation rife among the two species - humanity and wolves torn apart by power and greed."

At this point, the grade one class looked sufficiently horrified and so I closed the book and dropped it on the table, the echo filling the once rambunctious room. "And that's how we came to be segregated from each other. Any questions?"

Every hand shot up and I glanced to Ms. Patrick next to me who had her mouth agape; her glasses nearly falling off of her straight nose. "Ahem. I think I can take it from here. Thank you, Maeve."

"No worries. Don't forget to tell your parents all about the Starstruck Bookstore," I responded casually as I exited the class. Maybe that will get them to stop using me as a story teller for children. Owning the only small bookshop in town meant that people assumed that I enjoyed reading to others. I usually did, but I didn't appreciate the assumption.

I exited the school walking the gravel road back to my little shop, the bell chiming as I entered.

"Maeve, would you please explain to Charles that fairytales are better received by customers than encyclopedias?" Madison complained, crossing her arms over her slim body.

Leaving Madison and Charles alone together was like expecting water and oil to mingle happily. Everything about their very beings clashed with each other, right down to their taste in books.

"Charles, we've discussed this," I reminded him as I grabbed a handful of non-fiction books that had somehow found their way to the front display of the store.

"I know, sweetheart. You can't blame a guy for trying. The world needs to know," he replied grinning at me as he walked up to me and pecked my lips.

"Well, we need a steady influx of customers and sadly the world has yet to find a fascination with encyclopedias that you seem to hold for them," I called as I walked to the back of the story and placed them on the floor before beginning to categorize them by title.

Madison had a point though, encyclopedias were no entertaining read. I flipped through the titles half heartedly, barely noticing them as I moved along.

"Told you," Madison teased.

"Being with the boss is getting me no where," Charles whined loudly.

The bell chimed and I heard Madison, the self proclaimed front desk worker/greeter (who was hired to do accounting) exclaim, "Charlotte! How's it going?" Charlotte and Madison were practically inseparable which meant that Charlotte made multiple stops into the bookstore a day. Ironically, she bought next to nothing due to her hatred of books.

"You'll never guess," Charlotte squeaked, "a few wolves are gracing us with their business today."

My ears perked at the information. It was rare that wolves crossed into our territory, but not uncommon. They liked to remind us who was higher up on the pecking order when they would come into our small towns to terrorize the residents once every blue moon. I made my way to the front of the store to see Charlotte leaning against the glass desk in surprise.

"No way," Madison gawked at her friend. "It's been a while. When's the last time they came around?"

Charlotte shrugged, "Maybe a few years ago?" She looked at me and grinned, "Hey, Maeve!"

"Hi, Charlotte," I smiled at her reaching behind the desk for a basket and pulling out a teen approved novel, "Got a new one here for you," I waved the copy in front of her.

"You'll never give up," Charlotte laughed, taking the book and checking out the cover half heartedly.

"Nope. Everyone likes reading. I'll find your niche, you just wait."

"Have you thought about giving encyclopedias a try?" Charles perked up from an aisle over, his buzzed blonde hair sticking above my short book cases.

"No," Madison and I replied in unison.

After an afternoon of organizing and selling - or at least trying to - we were tired, hungry, and covered in dust.

I wiped my now sticky brown hair away from my face with the back of my arm.

"Alright. I'm done," Charles proclaimed, standing up and dusting off his slacks and button down shirt. He was always the respectable dresser; along with every other aspect of his life. He was a good man and I was reminded of that a lot. "I'm heading home. See you tomorrow?"

"See you tomorrow," I smiled at him as he walked over and gave me a chaste peck on the cheek.

He walked out and Madison turned to me, "Ooh ooh, don't let Ms. Patrick see that kind of PDA or she'll scold you. Things are steaming up in here that's for sure."

I nudged her playfully on her side, "Charles is a good boyfriend. All teasing aside, I thought you liked him?"

"I do like him and he is a great boyfriend for sure," she agreed with me, "you're a great girlfriend too, Maeve, but are you great for each other?"

"I have no idea what you're talking about." On paper, Charles and I matched up perfectly. He was responsible, logical, punctual, and intelligent. There was hardly a fact in the world that he couldn't state for you. He was basically a living, human encyclopedia.

She raised an eyebrow at me before walking into the back, "I'm starting on accounting!" She called.

"The end of the day is a great time for that," I called back.

I heard the bell chime and I lugged myself off the ground and dusted my jeans off before walking to the door.

There stood a man who I'd never seen before and I knew I'd have recognized him if I had. He had brown curls that dangled on his head and wore a plain t-shirt, his hulking body clearly noticeable through it. He was shuffling through a bundle of 'do it yourself' books on a shelf.

"Anything I can help you with?"

He turned swiftly and his hazel eyes met mine. His features were sharp and I almost felt a familiarity with him that sounded completely illogical.

This town was small and there weren't very many newcomers. I'd have known if he lived here.

Who was this man?