Chapter Fourteen

I saw Maeve's face go from desperately sad, to calm, to unbelievably anxious and though it was a pleasure to be able to learn all her expressions, I really didn't enjoy this one

I saw Maeve's face go from desperately sad, to calm, to unbelievably anxious and though it was a pleasure to be able to learn all her expressions, I really didn't enjoy this one. I wanted to scream out you'll be okay! I'll make sure you are! But I had no idea how this council was going to go.

I could see Alpha Rollands voting either way on this. He was so unpredictable. Everything depended on how his anger levels were at the moment. The key was to keep him buttered up and calm. If he got angry, we were screwed.

The closer we got to the pack the more visible Maeve's discomfort was. I felt so useless. I wanted to let her know that I was here for her but I had no idea how. I found myself gravitating closer to her side. "You okay?" I asked quietly though I knew everyone could hear.

She nodded automatically then shook her head, "I'm freaking out, Liam. Am I walking into my death? Never in a million years did I think I'd be asking for sanctuary from wolves. No offence I mean," she added looking up at me. I was still stuck on the way my name sounded on her tongue.

"Maeve, we are all here not just to protect you but to voice our support of you. It might be easy to get rid of one human, but it's not so simple to just kill off pack members like that. We will protect you. I will protect you." I promised faithfully.

"I don't know how to thank you all for what you're doing for me," She whispered.

"Wouldn't you do the same?" I asked, desperately wanting to add for me.

She thought for a second before fervently nodding, "I would."

"There then," I sighed a sigh of relief. "There's nothing to thank for."

I could begin to smell the pack which meant they would begin to smell us all. I tensed when I picked up Andrew and Arnold's scents but my heart stopped altogether when a small hand reached for mine tentatively and cautiously. My gaze dropped to Maeve's hand cushioned against my own and I looked at her, eyes forward, determined.

"We'll get through this, Liam." She stated reassuringly and I realized that she had picked up on my anxiety. The bond worked both ways.

I squeezed her hand hoping that she couldn't pick up on how gleeful I currently was.

We naturally began to move into formation. Mrs Meyers stood in the front of us, casually leading us into the pack, Maeve and I stood behind her, Mason flanked Maeve's side, and Elijah stood by mine.

We passed the entryway, making our way into a deadly silent pack. They all knew we were here alright. We walked by Violet in human form and Eddie and Mary as wolves. Most said nothing to us but a few others growled threateningly. All I could do was hold Maeve's hand. I could feel the waves of terror rolling off of her but her face remained stoic. I was just beginning to realize that she was unbelievably brave.

"We'll wait at the council," I explained as we walked towards the stone columns where I had experienced my lashings not so long ago.

We were there for barely a minute before a circle of wolves began to form. They growled, baring their teeth and gnashed at us but they didn't dare to make any other moves. We stood in silence until we heard the threatening boom calling "Enough!" from Alpha Rollands.