Chapter Six

I was dragged out of my cell and back to the pack meeting area where I was roughly shoved onto my knees in front of the Alpha and the Luna

"Your punishment has been decided," the Alpha began, "if what Mrs. Myers has said is true, you are granted amnesty." He walked closer and leaned down in front of me, whispering in my ear, "Don't think for a second that I believe this mythical tale of a mate. Those are long gone. And if one was granted, it would have come to me."

He stood up again, "We know the laws. Fifty slashes for betraying a brother. The punishment executed by those sinned against. Andrew and Arnold Mitt, twenty five lashes each."

He walked back and sat on his chair as though his was king of the world.

Andrew and Arnold crept towards me, both in wolf form and I stayed with my head lowered. There was nothing I could do to get out of this punishment. I had turned on pack members. I was lucky I was alive.

The brothers growled and snapped at me first, trying to intimidate me, but eventually got on with it, taking turns clawing at my back. Each slash felt more painful than the one before it and in the end my groans could be heard from across pack territory. My back was shredded. Quite literally.

The brothers finished their handiwork and left me, my shirt stripped at this point, bleeding profusely.

Eventually the crowd dissipated and I was left with a few pack members that lingered about.

Mr. Lewis approached me first with his grandson, Elijah. "Help me get him up, Elijah."

Elijah hoisted me up with his arm and avoided my back as he he helped me wobble my way back to Mr. Lewis' residence.

He placed me onto a bed gently as we entered the familiar chipping grey house. My back was exposed and I winced as Mr. Lewis took a warm washcloth to the excruciating wounds.

"I'm sorry," Elijah shook his head.

"It's not your fault," I grunted as Mr. Lewis began to apply an antiseptic to the area.

"It's not right!" Elijah exclaimed loudly.

Mr. Lewis shushed him, "There are ears everywhere, son. Be mindful of what you say."

He shook his head fiercely. Elijah was an idealist. He believed the world should be a good and honourable place, but that wasn't always the case as I knew painfully well right now.

"Did you really find your mate, Liam?" Elijah looked at me with such wonder and innocence that I couldn't help but chuckle.

"I did," I confirmed.

"Is it everything they say it is?" He asked intently watching my expression.

I smiled, "Everything and more, Elijah."

"Maybe you've changed things for us. Maybe we'll get it back!"

Mr. Lewis grunted, "You're too innocent, boy. One special case doesn't cause divine intervention. This is our lot in life now. We will never know the other half of our souls. Lost to greed."

He finished wrapping my back up and Elijah sat next to me sullenly.

I tried to sit up slowly, but my back protested and I groaned in pain.

"Sit you idiot." Mr. Lewis reprimanded me. "You need to heal."

"I need to find Maeve. She may be in trouble if others know she's my mate."

"Mrs. Myers is seeing that she's looked after. She's an old crank but a hell of a wolf when she finally finds it in her to turn," Mr. Lewis reasoned with me.

He hobbled into the kitchen with a bowl of water muddled with my blood and brought back a piece of cake, placing the plate in front of me. "Eat. You'll need it if you want to heal faster."

I gobbled the piece down, not even noticing the taste. All I could think about was Maeve. I wondered whether she was okay and whether she was thinking of me. Could she feel what I felt for her? Could she feel the connection that flowed through me stronger than anything I'd ever felt in my life?

I needed to get to her. Andrew and Arnold worked fast. If they had wanted to spread the word about her being my mate, it could have been out by now.

We were treading on new territory here. I had no idea how others would react when they heard about this. Based on the Alpha's reaction, I'd imagine it wouldn't be great.

I forced myself up, ignoring Mr. Lewis' calls for me to sit still. By the time I stood up, I was panting from the effort it had taken me.

"Just go with him, Elijah," Mr. Lewis instructed.

I groaned. Elijah had endless questions I wasn't sure I wanted to deal with. But as soon as Elijah placed his arm around my side to help me stand, I realized that I probably had no choice so I clung into the kid for dear life.

We hobbled our way to the forest as Elijah's incessant questions made my head ache.

"Why do you think you were chosen to have a mate? I mean you're a good guy and all, but why you? Do you think the Alpha cares that it's not him? I'm sure he does because that almost signals that you have a closer Divine connection than he does. Almost like you're meant for something. I wonder if he thinks that? Have you felt a calling to do anything in particular lately?"

"Elijah," I snapped as I clung onto his tall and lanky figure. "Do me a favour and shut up."

After a few moments of silence, I felt guilty snapping at the kid who was currently helping a cripple through the forest.

"I'm sorry, I don't know any of those answers, alright? I'm just trying to get to Maeve."

He nodded, his bright smile taking over again and I sighed internally. "I wonder if I'll ever get a Maeve."

We finally made it to Maeve's shop where I stopped in my tracks in utter horror at what stood before me. There was little Ms. Myers' wolf snapping at what looked like another alpha. Maeve stood behind her, her goddamn gun clutched tightly between her hands.

I couldn't breathe and this time it wasn't because my back was bleeding out.