Chapter Thirteen

"We have a lot of work to do," Mrs Meyers stated loudly as she tugged my hand out of my bookstore, my steps crunching on all the broken glass that seemed to grace my floor

"We have a lot of work to do," Mrs Meyers stated loudly as she tugged my hand out of my bookstore, my steps crunching on all the broken glass that seemed to grace my floor. "The rest of you pack for Maeve."

"Sorry?" I responded as I took a glance back at Liam and Charles, standing next to each other staring at my figure currently being dragged out of the building.

Mrs Meyers didn't stop or look back at me as she spoke seriously, "Do you realize what a historic feat it would be to get a human accepted into a pack? To get the protection that a pack provides? It has never been done, Maeve. Nor has there ever been reason for it to be done. But for this to work, it'll take research?"

"Research?" I huffed as I nearly slipped over a wood log as my arm was being pulled out of its socket.

Mrs Meyers didn't respond as she crossed the street, pulled me into the nearby inn and trailed up for the second floor. She pulled out a key, shoved it into the key hole, and opened the door to her one room bedroom. A few bags lay in the corner of the room next to the two seater sofa and a bed sat at the end of the room, it's comforter neatly made. The only thing other than that were stacks and stacks of books. They lined the floor.

"What is all this?" I asked in bewilderment.

"Research," was all Mrs Meyers said as she finally let go of my arm and started rifling through her book titles.

I stared at her a moment wondering why this old woman would give any of her time or energy (or protection as it had turned out) on a nobody like me. Someone from a different species than her. And yet here she was protecting me over some bond that I didn't understand and frankly was terrified of understanding. "Can I ask you something?"

Mrs Meyers looked up briefly from her books and waited for me to continue. "This mate bond... is there any way to," I trailed struggling to find the words, "sever it?"

She put down the book she was holding and looked at me solemnly. "No," was her response and I couldn't tell if I was let down or relieved over the fact. I really did think Liam was kind and an anomaly to his species, but the idea that this was a preplanned decision? That I had no say in who I had feelings for? That was a stretch of the imagination.

"I see you're continuing to fight the bond?" She asked staring at me sternly.

I shrugged, "I'm not sure what I'm fighting against here."

She paused, her fingers trailing on the spine of the book she was holding. "I think you do know, Maeve. Fate isn't something you can ignore or run away from."

"I'm doing the opposite," I argued. "I'm literally moving into this guy's neighbourhood."

"All that you're doing is hurting the both of you by denying what you know you should feel. But you'll soon realize. Time is a great teacher." She looked away from me before picking up a few heavy looking, old books. "Now, research."

She dropped the books by the small couch and gestured to me so I sat down and picked one from the top of the pile. The Constitutional Law of the Wolf Pack stared back at me. I flipped through another title only to see Public Law: Cases, Commentary, and Analysis.

"We're researching laws?" I questioned looking back up at the old woman.

"Not a single soul will welcome you into the pack, Maeve. You will be hated. And if you are accepted, you will be shunned. You and you alone will have to argue your case. So you better make sure you have a damn convincing argument."

I turned to my book with renewed vigour, determined to do Mrs Meyers proud. It felt like my entire life having the book store had been in preparation for this very moment.

Hours passed and we were both still reading. Occasionally I'd look up and mention something of interest. An old law that would benefit me. She'd rebuff my position to prepare me for any argument they might throw my way.

By the time she heard the first whisperings of the birds chirping outside, she closed her book with a resounding thump and turned to me. "It's time." Was all she said ominously.

I nodded apprehensively gathering my notes, my stomach feeling a pit of anxiety in it that just would not go away. It was making me feel nauseous.

We made our way back to the bookstore where, to my surprise everyone was waiting for us. I noticed Liam first with his warm smile that immediately eased my nerves. Next we're Charles and Madison with bags packed on the floor, presumably filled with my belongings. I took my shattered bookstore, once a spot that was more like a home and now in shambles. I could tell someone had attempted to pick the bookshelves up and reshelf the books but it was no use. It looked like a tornado had rolled through the store.

And now I was willingly going to the den of the lion. Literally. I'm pretty sure wolves ate any kind of meat.

"Maeve!" Madison wailed as she ran towards me and wrapped her slender arms around my frame. "I don't know what I'll do if you aren't here!"

I smiled, patting her back. "Take care of my garden," I whispered to her.

She laughed loudly, "I'll kill all your vegetables."

"Don't you dare," I gasped.

"Just to get you back," she argued.

I squeezed her tight. "I'll try and come back when I can. The sooner I can sort this out, the sooner we can work on getting you a new job title."

Charles walked towards me, arms outstretched and I reciprocated the gesture. "I'll miss you," he stated. "Please be careful around everyone. Don't trust anyone, Maeve."

I nodded back as his arms tightened in their embrace.

I grabbed a backpack off the floor, slipping the straps onto my shoulders before Liam walked up to where I was standing and grabbed my three other bags easily seining them onto his arms.

Mason, Elijah, and Mrs Meyers were waiting for me in distance. Liam stood by the door waiting until my goodbyes were finished. I looked forward at Madison and Charles and my broken down bookstore. All I had left in my life. All I had left from my parents.

I turned my head around at the four wolves now risking their lives to grant me safe entry into their pack. And I had never felt so overwhelmed in my life. I had no home. No livelihood. And no community. I would be alone.

I sniffled my goodbyes one last time before walking out of my bookstore with Liam in tow behind me. Mrs Meyers turned to me. "Ready?" She asked.

I shook my head, "Not even close."

"Great!" Clapped Elijah as he put his arm over my shoulders as we walked. "There's nothing better than walking into certain death and being unprepared."

Mason smacked the back of his head and I laughed. "Did you figure out the tune for my song yet?" Elijah asked giddily.

"You haven't done anything yet. She'd have basically no lyrics. It would just be about the loudmouth wolf," Mason rebutted his younger brother. 

I laughed and turned to Liam. He was walking next to me, at a few feet's distance. His smile was swoon worthy but that didn't say much considering our predicament.

I almost felt like I could read his thoughts. You'll be okay, I could hear him say. I'll make sure of it.

I know it's what he would say anyway though I'd only known him for a short while.

And while we tread down the gravel road that would lead to one of the most terrifying experiences of my life, with the four of them surrounding me I suddenly felt that I wouldn't be quite as alone as I'd thought I would be.