Chapter Two

"Mrs

"Mrs. Myers?" I called as I entered the unnaturally yellow cottage. I pushed the beaded curtain to the side as I walked on the plush, bright blue carpet that seemed to engulf the entire house.

A row of cuckoo clocks rang next to me, making me jump. "Shit," I muttered at the cooky decor. The entire wall had bird themed clocks hanging from it.

"I'm in the back, hon!" A voice shouted.

I followed it and met Mrs. Meyers' frail figure bent over at her oven. Her head shot up with a wide grin "Thanks for coming, Liam."

"Of course. What's wrong with it this time?" I asked as I bent over and began tinkering with the coils. The thing was older than Moses, not that anyone in our pack cared for stoves. Mrs. Myers was one of the few that spent the time cooking her food rather than catching it and chowing it down raw.

I figured helping her with it would get me a few extra meals this week.

"This thing's older than I am," She kicked the machine in frustration. "I had steaks I was planning on making tonight."

"Hmm," I mumbled imagining a nicely cooked steak. That was hard to come by here. "It needs a new starter. I'll try and see if I can grab one."

"Liam, you are my favourite handyman." And carpenter, and mechanic, and electrician, I wanted to add but refrained.

"No worries," I responded as I used a rag to wipe my hands down.

I left the house after snagging a couple cookies and made my way down the road. There was an innumerable amount of wolves trailing about as per usual. I nodded to those I recognized in wolf form. Pack members tended to like to stay in wolf form. I personally enjoyed walking on my two feet and eating meals that had been cooked. Call me crazy.

"Liam!" A voice called. I turned to see Mr. Lewis approaching me.

"Morning, Mr. Lewis. What can I do for you?"

He hobbled over to me, using his cane, "I just wanted to speak with you about a run into town that's being proposed."

I raised an eyebrow at him in surprise. Many runs into town were proposed, but there hadn't been one in years. A pit of dread fill my stomach at the thought. Wolves were ruthless when they made runs into human towns.

"Why now?" I asked curiously.

"Andrew and Arnold are heading it," he replied matter-of-factly. That was all the information that I needed. Those brothers craved anarchy.

"I'll head into town to check in on things," I reassured the old man. I took comfort in the fact that he cared at all. That was a rarity with our kind. But Mr. Lewis, Mrs. Myers, and a few others in the pack were good people. And good wolves. The two didn't always go hand in hand.

As I walked into a sheltered area, I noticed a small group meeting in the middle. I recognized Andrew right away and stood on the outskirts, leaning against a pillar with my arms crossed, listening in as more pack members began to gather around him. He was great at drawing a crowd in.

"I say we get a little fun out of it!" Andrew boasted grinning widely. "There hasn't been a lesson in a few years and they've gotten too comfortable!"

A few pack members agreed, "Let's plan a visit," Arnold - his brother - agreed enthusiastically.

"Screw that, I say we go today!" Andrew belted out, raising his arm in the process.

It didn't take a lot for me to figure out they wanted to plan a 'visit' to the neighbouring human town, Cranford. I didn't understand the gratification they got at terrorizing the specifies - and terrorized they were. Andrew and Arnold were often heading these terrors; vandalizing shops, threatening individuals, or much worse.

I shuddered at the thought of what I'd seen in the past. People could be cruel especially if they felt more powerful than someone else.

"Enough!" A loud voice roared. The tone of authority was unquestionably Alpha Rolland.

"Alpha," Andrew and Arnold lowered their heads in respect.

"What's this happening now?" He asked, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Just a plan to visit Cranford." Andrew responded, only when the alpha raised a threatening brow he added, "Sir."

"Cranford," he rubbed his jaw in thought. I held my breath. "It has been a while, I suppose. Andrew would you like to head the venture?"

"Yes, sir," Andrew responded gleefully.

Without realizing I was moving, my legs took me forward, my arm raised, "I'd like to go as well."

"Liam?" Andrew asked narrowing his eyes at me, "Didn't realize this was your thing. I'm surprised you aren't too busy skipping on two feet."

"Got a few extra minutes." Did I? I had no idea why I was going. Maybe I can keep Andrew in tow, I reasoned. But anyone who had seen
Andrew knew that he did what he pleased, consequences he damned. Not that there were any for him. He was revered as a fighter who gave no mercy - a commodity in this pack.

Not to mention the consequences of me protecting another kind over my own.

Alpha Rolland interrupted our stare down, "Take him. It'll be good for him." He gave me a stern glance and I could tell what he was trying to tell me. Don't fuck this up.

I ignored the warning as I often did and returned to my small cottage to grab a bag before Andrew and Arnold headed out. My stomach was shot but I couldn't place why I was feeling this way.

Arnold and Andrew are animals, I concluded. And not in the wolf meaning of it either. Just outrightly vicious. I dreaded to think of the terror they would cause that I wouldn't be able to stop.

I met the brothers at the start of the gravel road, Arnold smirking at me. I was already sick of the pair of them. "You're walking I assume?"

I shrugged, "Not sure."

"Suit yourself," he replied before turning, shredding his clothes in the process, his brother following suit; their wolves taking off.

I realized at that speed, they'd get there before my two feet could. I carefully placed my clothes into my bag and turned myself, enjoying the feeling of going on a run. I mostly avoided turning because of the pack. They were barely in human form because they hated the connection it gave them to a species that was considered 'lower'.

When in wolf form, we were more susceptible to primal needs - eating, shitting, and fucking. I enjoyed the run but preferred the clarity of thought my human form offered me.

I raced after the two brothers, speeding to catch up to them. My wolf was surprisingly large, I suppose because that was my physique in human form as well.

Before we got to the outskirts of town, I changed back into my clothing and slung my bag over my shoulders. I looked over my shoulder at Andrew and Arnold currently ransacking a candy store. I'd save my interference for actual fights. Andrew and Arnold couldn't be controlled on every front.

I couldn't stand to look at what they were doing as their wolves destroyed the store, so I meandered my way through the small streets. A scent, so overwhelming took over my senses. Was there a bakery here? I was almost dizzy with the scent. What was that?

As I walked along the street, it only intensified, along with my need to find the source. It led me to a small bookstore, which I walked into tentatively. I turned to a shelf, catching sight of a book on stove repairs. If I could have focused, I would have picked it up for Mrs. Myers.

"Anything I can help you with?" An angelic voice called to me. I turned to see the most breathtaking woman I'd ever seen in my life. Her long brunette hair and green eyes captivated me. My heart, my soul, felt like it had split into two, one piece connecting with her. All I could smell was her. All I could see was her. My heart was racing.

Who was she?