Chapter Seven

"I just had to come and see the fabled mate for myself

"I just had to come and see the fabled mate for myself. You're causing quite the commotion, I can guarantee you that. And in only a small, prey of a human. What a marvel you are," the man continued.

He walked slowly towards me, his gaze transfixed on me. I didn't understand what he was saying or what he was looking for but I almost felt like an animal in a zoo enclosure.

Only a few more feet until I can reach my gun.

Just then, the doorbell chimed and a frail voice called out, "Step away from her."

Relief filled my chest until I glanced up to see Mrs. Myers standing there, her brightly coloured outfit making this situation even more strange.

The man turned around quickly, glancing at the old woman before turning back to me. "Get out of here, you old hag."

"I won't warn you again," Mrs. Myers prodded.

I gave her a cautioning look, "Please leave, Mrs.
Myers. Please." The last thing I needed was this woman's life on my conscience.

For some reason, this man had targeted me. He had no interest in Mrs. Myers. She still had time to save herself and her cooky personality.

She gave me a half a smile, "I can take care of myself. Don't worry about me, Maeve. You," she jabbed her finger at the man before me who now looked bored, "Ever thought to pick on someone your own size? Why don't we take this outside."

She held the door open and waited as I stared at her in horror. This woman had lost her mind. I judged the difference in their size one last time in case there was an extra body mass I was missing. There wasn't. This man was clearly much larger and much stronger than this old woman.

He glanced at Mrs. Myers before chuckling, "You're one batshit crazy old lady." He echoed my thoughts exactly. He walked towards her and out of the door.

"Mrs. Myers," I whispered angrily, "He's a wolf. Please go home!"

She shook her head, smiling at me, "Some wolves aren't so bad, Maeve."

I whipped my head between the two of them. "He's bad. I can guarantee you he's not walking out that door to buy you a parakeet keychain!"

"Such a shame, too. I'd probably forgive him if he did," She mused as she stretched her neck from side to side and cracked her knuckles.

Was she going to fight him?!

She walked out the door but not before she turned around and whispered, "Run, girl!" The bell chimed behind her as she exited my little bookshop.

This bookshop had never seen this many wolves in all of its existence. I felt like some kind of curse had been placed on me.

I scampered to my desk and tugged out my shotgun with shaky fingers. My breath was ragged and my heart was beating a mile a minute.