Chapter Eighteen

I walked upstairs with Mr

I walked upstairs with Mr. Lewis but all I could think of was Maeve giving out hugs like it was free candy to everyone around, except to her mate. It irritated me though I knew it shouldn't and I then became irritated with myself in return. It was a vicious cycle.

I had to learn to accept the successes we'd had so far. Like she seemed to be getting so much more comfortable around me now. I remembered the first time I met her where she could barely make eye contact with me, she was so terrified of wolves. And now she was lighthearted around me. That was a huge step.

I shook my head. I needed to think about something else.

"What did you mean when you said that Mason came home for Maeve, Mr. Lewis?" I asked curiously as I tampered with the pipe under the sink.

"It's quite the thing," he stated. "He told me he felt a pull much like that of when an alpha calls for warriors in battle. From that point, his allegiance has been to Maeve. I'm unsure of what it was that he felt but it clearly did the trick if he's staying here."

"He's staying?" I asked in shock. Mason was a wanderer. He'd never found anyone that he liked enough to stay around for.

"That's what he's said," Mr. Lewis confirmed.

Did he have feelings for Maeve? Did he think he could stick around long enough to gain her favour?

Don't be paranoid, Liam, I argued with myself.

Mason was my best friend. And he was loyal beyond belief. I trusted him.

It's not like Maeve was available to be wooed anyway.

"Alright, that should do it," I said as I finished tightening the pipe I was working on.

"Thank you!" Grinned Mr. Lewis.

"No problem," I responded. "Get Mason to do it for you next time. If he's home for good you may as well make good use of him."

"Yes, but then I wouldn't have met Maeve," He chuckled.

I walked back downstairs to see Mason and Elijah engulfed in a deep conversation with Maeve. I had no idea what they were talking about but they certainly caught my interest when they moved farther apart upon seeing me.

I raised an eyebrow at the two brothers suspiciously. "Ready to go?" I asked Maeve.

She nodded and stood up, waving at the three men as we exited the house.

"What were you all discussing?" I asked her as we made the short walk to Mrs Meyers' house.

She grinned at me, "You actually. They were telling me all your deepest darkest secrets."

I laughed as well, my heart warming again from being near her. I felt distant from her after just being upstairs and it seemed the more time I had with her, the more I was becoming addicted to it.