9: Fragile Ground

-Tesla's P.O.V.

        "...I wonder why she didn't tell us." 

        "Why the hell would I know?" He hissed back at me bitterly, obviously annoyed by the very same question. "She's probably just freakin' scared of being ridiculed. Fuckin' pansy." He was also obviously rather irritable this morning. To be expected, based on what I heard. 

        But to think about what that girl has been through. To hide it away like that? I'll be honest, I didn't see much in her at the start. I acted rude towards her, as if I was higher in rank. But at the end of the day, we were still equals. And gender would not change that, I learned. Still, after I learned to tolerate her and show her kindness, Nnoitora still hadn't come around. It was quite some time before he started to show her mercy. 

        Now, this was because of one of two things. Either he had gotten tired of beating her senseless every day- and that was very possible- or, the less likely of the options, he had started to respect her even if only slightly. 

        I felt like the latter was true, though. For a few reasons. But when Ayame and myself were fighting...

~~*~~

        "That's the shit I like to hear, bitch!" I heard from the sidelines, My master, Nnoitora Jiruga, actually praising the girl for once.

~And then, a second time...~

        A long silence occurred before he stood up, sighing. "Keep it up, bitch!"

~~**~~

        I mean, he said it in such a rude way, using her natural nickname... but he meant it. Even I could tell that. And she could, too, seeing as she instantly turned to look at him in shock, in disbelief. I didn't want to, but I took advantage of that moment. 

        I'm sure she still got the point. 

        "It's a shame. We can't even talk to her about it." 

        "Why would you want to? It would be time wasted. The girl wouldn't talk about it even if you tore it out of her." 

        "...I could see how that could be true," I sighed. 

        It sort of made me wonder how she acted when she started out here. After being a hollow for so long...? What was it like? To be somewhat human after so many years? I would imagine it would be overwhelming. Joyful? Though none of us really knew what joy was. Perhaps it was the proud feeling I get when I watch my master fight.  

        But arrancar tended not to know about true emotions. And who was I to judge?

~~ 

-Normal P.O.V.

        Schnick! 

        I glared, pulling another throwing knife from my belt. I tossed it, waiting for it to hit the board. I was getting closer and closer to the center, but my aim just wasn't what it used to be.  

        "C'mon, focus! Y' used to be so good with these things!" 

        "I'm trying, Kita," I sighed impatiently. "It's not as easy as you think. Last throw, then I need to head off to see Nnoitora. See what he wants me to do today." 

        "Kita!" 

        Oh, god, I mentally snorted at the loud and agitated voice of the Sexta Espada. "Kita, what did you do?"