10: Tooth and Claw

-Manami's P.O.V.

        "Good afternoon, sir," I smiled as I announced my arrival at the lab, bowing slightly as I took a few steps inside. Sir Szayel's head turned as he glanced over his shoulder, his amber eyes gazing into my own tired eyes. He sighed, his gaze finally shifting back to his current experiment. 

        "As much as I hate to inform you, it would likely be best for you to go and hide in the closet in the back room," he muttered. 

        I had to actually stop and think about that one. "...Closet? Sir, what are you talking about? Why would I hide in the closet? What's going-" 

        "Ayame knows." 

        "Oh, dear," I whined. "How did she find out?" 

        "I have told you in the past, yet I find myself telling you again. Those monitors that you three begged me to install, the ones that I informed you would lead to nothing but trouble, were exactly that. Still, being the good person I am, I installed them for you. And now look where that has gotten you." 

        "She's... She'll kill me...!" 

        "Like I previously suggested, you should be hiding." 

        Within that very second, I panicked and scrambled towards the closet. I pulled on the door with all my might, trying to pry it open. My claws raked at the knob, a shrill scratching noise echoing through the room. I snarled at the door before I eventually completed the seemingly impossible task of opening the closet door before I proceeded to casually trip into the closet. As I fell to the floor of the closet I did not release my grip on the door until the last second, pulling it closed with a loud thud. I curled up tight. 

        I was going to die. 

"Manami!"

-Normal P.O.V.

        I crashed through the door, eyes narrowed, pupils like thin lines. "Where'd she go?!" 

        "I don't understand what you're-" 

        "I know she's in here! And don't think you're any better, telling the others like that!" 

        "Now now, Ayame. Don't go blaming those who you have no proof were involved. I told nobody. I would not betray my dear Fracción's roommate like that." 

        "Then how the hell did..." I stopped myself, shaking my head. "You know what, I don't even care anymore." 

        A thump in a nearby cabinet was enough of a cue for me; I ran at it, growling, trying to pry the doors open. "Open the doors now, damnit!" 

        "Okay, just... don't ambush me?" 

        "I'll give you three minutes to explain yourself or so help me Manami I will kill you." 

        She opened the doors and poked her head out. "Okay. Three minutes. Okay," she took a deep breath and then stared at me. "Aya, you can't hide things forever! People need to know about you if they're going to enhance your abilities. Don't you think it's better that Nnoitora knows? I mean, when you think about it, it just shows how strong you really are. You hide behind a wall that you built. A sturdy wall. Don't you think that..." 

        Slam! 

        "Stop it!" I screamed, pointing my Zanpakuto at her after an initial strike with my fist. "I'm not strong! I'm a coward! I could care less if the walls I built were ten stories high and made out of Sekkiseki. I'm still hiding!" I swung my weapon again, growling out the last words of my sentence and charging at her.